Sign in to follow this  

Squish Band Question

What is the desired effect when altering squish? I had been having issues with my 2002 RM 250 and excessive spooge, and have gone through everything from jetting, leaky crank seals, reeds, packing, pressure tests and even premix flash points! Whew! So I guess the question is really: Can and or will manipulating the squish band effectively help ignite the 'excess' fuel/oil in the combustion chamber, and help with spooge??? Thanx guys, I appreciate ANY advice.

The bike runs awesome, but I cant seem to get that last bit of spooge to tune out!

Disclaimer: I am not an "engine builder" for others. I have done many quality complete rebuilds on a variety of engines. I study and research all projects big or small.

One of the potential benefits of correct squish clearance is more complete combustion. That's all good, but do you really want all, or nearly all of your oil above the piston consumed? Maybe it's a non-issue. Some bikes do burn super clean out the tailpipe. Not mine.

The thermal dynamic inside the combustion chamber may increase or decrease the spooge, but not likely to cause or eliminate spooge. Correct piston to head clearance could actually lower the temp. of the piston.

Curious what mix ratio you use?

Mostly track riding?

Are you jetted close to stock or.......?

This issue has been discussed at great length on the Yammy 2stroke forum. Not a Suzuki, but the rules/theory of internal combustion still apply.

There are some very intelligent and experienced voices there. Searching and reading posts on the squish issue will give you alot of good info.; some specific to the Suzuki. Good luck, I am interested in your situation and would like to hear about what works.

:ride:Rr

What is the desired effect when altering squish?

More efficient combustion by making the fuel-air charge more turbulent.

It might not help with spooge. See the Yamaha 2 stroke forum threads mentioned previously.