What kind of power should i expect from a 91 xr200r?

Hi again guys. I got this 91 xr200r a couple of days ago. Cleaned out the carb and now it seems to be running pretty well, but I'd like to know what to expect power wise. When I look at the pictures of the guys who race them (like Dwight), I see roost flying out behind. Is that because they're modded, or should I expect that kind of power too? As it is, If I goose it in first, the front end will get off the ground, but nothing scary. I read somewhere that it's supposed to have 19 horses...doesn't feel like it to me., maybe 14.

Does anyone have any zero to whatever times that I could compare mine with? How about how it would compare with a TTR125L? Should I (225 lbs) be able to beat my 125 lb son on his TTR125? Just trying to get an idea. It seems to run well, maybe a little lean...no smoke, good feeling compression judging by kick starter without using compression release.

Thanks for any input!

It has 50% more horsepower and 100% more torque than your TTR. The reason Dwight can throw roosts on it is becuase he a pro and can do most anything on it, as many other riders in the form. But at the same time, any MX pro can take your TTR and do a huge whip over a 60 foot triple. So my point is . . . Can you beat your son? It depends, if your son is a faster rider, then no; otherwise, yes. A lot of people on this forum race these 200's and beat 250f's and 450's with great regularity.

I re-did the test today. According to Clymers, I should continue kicking until pressure stops rising. When I did it before I didn't do this. I just kicked it two or three times. This time I did it the way Clymers described and came up with slightly above 180 psi dry. With a teaspoon of oil it went up to 212 psi. It sure seems like it's running well. No smoke or anything. I think I'm just so used to my yz426f and my yz250f that it seems so soft on power. My son rode it and said it has a lot more power than his ttr125. I also Joe Mcgee'd a decomp system which I will post in a new thread. It works well.

Was the compression release disconnected? And did you add some oil and retest? That way you will know if the low compression is caused by rings or valves leaking.

And 150psi is too low, the spec for a XR200R is 199ps and IMO anything below 180psi is too low.

sorry for hi-jacking the thread but is there a simple way to disconnect the decompression cable, i need to check the comp. on my buddies 83 xr200r and didnt want to take the whole thing off.

• Experts
19 at the wrist pin...maybe. 13-15 is much closer to reality. Dwights Powroll crank and bigbore might make a difference in roost power too.

My personal bike engine is STOCK and puts out maybe 15hp at rear wheel. 19 at CRANK. A TTR125L for example puts out 8 hp stock at rear wheel . Yes, a Powroll stroker crank and 66mm kit will make 218cc and the most power out of that engine. A lot of work and you can get maybe 20+hp out of it at rear wheel.

Just unbolt the bracket on the cylinder head, one bolt and it is off. It is easy to bolt back on; move the lever with one hand to get a little slack in the cable, and start the bolt in the bracket with the other.

thanks chuck, did the trick!

gauge only shows 120 psi cold, i may see if i can find a different gauge since my gauge is a wally world job. the plug was pretty black though.

i will have to fix a few things before go any further.