Sign in to follow this  

cam installation 86xr250

this is my first topend rebuild and every thing has been going A OK untill i go to the dredead camshaft. i have tryed what seems like every thing to get the chain on the cam sprocket but cant get it on already almost broke the head. could some one PLEASE tell me the correct method of doing this. im sure im just missing one step i do no how to time it so that is not the problem i just cant get the dam chain on to the sprocket.

thanks you in advance joe

OK so i actually have to take the whole tensioner off? i had it in hte released position but i also had the cam already bolted to the sprocket i will try just connecting the sprocket first hopefully it will work. i do not have an owners manual i wish i did im sure id be riding it by now lol

last question how do you remove the tensioner? i no how to relaese it but no idea how to take it off completly. any help would be great

thanks

Removing the tensioner requires removal of the RH side cover and clutch, you don't need to do that. With the tensioner in the released position, the tensioner set plate removed, the cam bearing set pins removed and the cam bearings off the cam, place the cam on the head with the lobes facing down. Slip on the gear side bearing. Position the cam gear in the chain and slip the gear on the cam, lifting the opposite end of the cam slightly will help, make sure that the chain is on the crank gear and position the cam gear with the timing marks in approximately the right position with the timing marks horizontal and install one of the bolts, just snug. Now lift the other end of the cam and slip the bearing on. If the cam gear is not correctly timed, you can move the gear and cam in the loose chain to get it in the right position. When you are sure that timing is correct, lift each end of the cam and bearing and insert the set pins. Now you can release the chain tensioner, rotate the engine one crank revolution and install the other cam gear bolt, use loctite on both bolts, and tighten them to proper torque. Recheck timing, if OK proceed with reassembly.

Edited by creeky