Sign in to follow this  

KX85 Flywheel weight

Has anyone actually tried a flywheel weight on a kx85? Does it really make it much more easier to ride for a beginer, and in the woods?

I have a buddy that has alot of offroad experiance, including his daughter who ripps off road on a XC85 KTM. It has a heavier flywheel stock, so it must helpl. I always felt they do 2 things on a big bike...

1 it keeps the rear wheel from exploding into wild spinning when it comes off the ground through chop.

2 It makes the motor "hesitate" before going crazy reving...Although I am not sure thats the right word for it. I don't like heavier flywheels but I also don't ride in icy mud like alot of you do.

My Son has a KX100 and it has a nice spread of power...easy to ride. The top ends are the only differance You could make the switch for about $350 and even less if you sell your good cylinder online! that would make a much bigger differance than $100 for a flywheel!

Define "much." My wife rode a KX 100, and we put a 10 oz FWW on it, and the difference was apparent. However, it did not turn it into a CRF 100. We ;ater put on a 12 hoping for more of the same, and we could not tell the difference.

As the previous post says, it helps the bike hook up, but it also makes it a little easier not to stall on hills, and it also makes it easier to start. I thought it was worth it.

Take this with a grain of salt, though, because I have one for sale.

Brent

my 11 y/o races his KX 85 and the 10 oz FFW makes a big difference in stalling and smoothing out the power delivery. He really loves the bike with the FFW. The KX100 conversion is also a great choice, but since he races in the 85CC class we can not go that way.