Sign in to follow this  

300 vs 530

Given that gearing can be changed to optimise riding conditions, where would the 300 exc-e not be as good in handling and performance when compare to the 530 exc-e?

2009 models I am referring to here...

Byte

Hwy/ Open road riding... I personally also feel like the big 4t's handle the deep sand better, but I think that just my personal feeling more than anything else.

Yes some will say the cult following of the 300 gets to be a bit one sided.

Having ridden both... they have strenghts in different areas. The 4 stroke will shine over the 300 when riding for long periods at speed.... 4th and 5th gear... and in the sand.

Road riding too. I don't ride on the road much... but riding my 2st on side roads occasionally and feeling like a kid worried my mom is going to "catch me riding on the road" can add to the fun factor.:cheers: But I would not think of commuting on my 300 even if regeared.

I don't like riding my 300 reved up on dirt roads or open dune riding compared to my old 4stroke. I could regear my 300 to help at speed, but the 4st seems better at 50 mph+ to me.

4st will also track better and have les deflection when crossing boulder fields or rocky open areas at faster speeds.

Power wheelies when playing around on dirt roads is more fun on a 4st.

With that said... I must re join the 300 cult. I am sure there are about 3-4 days a year when I would enjoy a 450/530 more... but other than that I give thumbs up to my 300.:moon:

I was on my 300 riding with a friend who has a 530....going up a semi steep hill the conditions turned from hardpack to 6 inches of silt. He had a much easier time than I did - It took me two attempts and he chugged up on hid first try.

With that said... I must re join the 300 cult. I am sure there are about 3-4 days a year when I would enjoy a 450/530 more... but other than that I give thumbs up to my 300.:moon:

How so?

Byte

Byte, one thing I would ask you is what kind of riding do you plan on doing? The real answer to finding the "right" bike is first to know what kind of riding you will be doing.

Tight/garly ST = 300

Open desert = 530

If you do a lot of both then this is much harder to figure out and I struggle with it constantly myself. The 530 handles the tight stuff as well it's just a little more work to manage. As you should already know, the 2t is easier to maintain and a little less expensive. This is really a give and take thing, there is no ONE perfect bike. In some areas the 300 just flat out sucks and the same is true for the 530.

Why pick one or the other? Why not just buy both??

Maybe you've not heard, but the sky is falling. Just go check out the TS forum it's all been explained quite nicely there! :cheers:

That is without a doubt still the best option...... :moon: still working on that one myself!

Yep, both is the ticket!

Mike

I went from a 525 to a 250 2st. I loved the light feeling, but I put a 250 xcw 4th and 5th in it, and it purrs down the roads at 50-60 with 12-52 gearing. I ride mostly tight, snotty singletrack, but do have to ride 20 plus miles of roads to get the them. I have found the 250 and 300''s dont track as well, along with having the weight to push throught the rocks on downhills. It's very light, nimble, but you definately loose some of the tractability, and stability over a 4 stroke. I would definatley not go back to a 4stroke for a while, exept for riding motorcross.

I have had a 525 and a 300. In the tight stuff, what I do now, the 300 shines. But technical dual sporting type thing, with long higher speed stuff the 525 was much better.

Another example, the guy who bought my 525 rode my 300 on some tight single track this past week and gained about 25% more speed overall.

Not staying the 300 doesn't do high speed, I was blasting down a tight rough road that you wouldn't take at more than 10mph in a truck at 70 on the 300 and it was fun.

I considered doing just that. In the past while on my 525 (540) EXC I have often ridden with 300 riders and have swapped bikes back and forth with them. I loved the 300, nice and torquey, capable of lugging down to very low RPM, light and agile. I didn't care for the increased vibration in the 300, although it really wasn't objectionable. The places where I found the 300 to be lacking compared to the larger bike was in higher speed desert type riding and very steep loose uphills. Under these conditions, which I find myself in on a fairly frequent basis, the 525 (540) is much superior easily leaving the 300's in its dust.

Instead of buying a 300 as my second bite, I bit the bullet and built an HTR 350 XCF-W. The 350 is the best of both worlds, lighter weight, easier handling than the 525 (540), yet still has the power and gears to stretch out way past the admittedly very capable 300's.

Byte,

I ride in WA year round... rain, snow, sun... don’t matter. The last couple summers I have ridden a handful of days with buddy’s that like dunes and more open terrain than I normally ride on the Eastern side of the state. (It’s not my favorite conditions for sure... but good for a day or two of fun) That’s the only time I would prefer a 4st over my 300.

I have not tried a paddle tire yet on any bike... I may run one this summer with different pipe and the red spring just for fun.

I have had both at the same time.... a 450 and a 300... let’s just say that getting the

“you need to sell your boat vibe” from ‘the boss’ because

“the garage is getting too full....” now that will make you pick a side. :cheers:

Based on what I ride most... I picked the 300.:moon:

I'm in the same camp as Chas_M.

Loved my 07 300, sold it bought a 09 but wanted to try a capable, but not tiring 4-st. I've had WR450's, CRF450's and KTM 520's. All fun but very tiring when the going gets tough.

I ride very little open stuff.

Bought a 08 250 XCF and shipped the engine out for a 320 BB kit. It's now the perfect bike and quite comparable in fun factor to my 300.

KTMRIDE nice post!! :smirk:

I like by 250 XC-W in all kind of situations, really think is a balanced bike.

My purpose of buying this bike is for enduro events wec format and i don´t miss a lot my WR 450 of my YZ 250 F´s (wr gearbox, 18 wheel, tuned suspension bla bla bla)

In fast roads i got it improved adding the new generation SD2.0 Olhins steering damper.

Sand conditions it deppends were you ride but 2 stroke have always much less weigth at the front period.

I just made the ISDE in October and we had a transfer section of 25 miles (to be made twice a day during 2 days) of sand whoops, are you guys sure you wanted the 530 over a 250/300? :cheers:

To bad i didn´t had a 52 rear sprocket over the 50 at that time because it would be even more fun (is that possible :moon:)