Sign in to follow this  

KX450F for Enduro/Woods.

Hey guys, I have a brand new 09 KX450F that i bought originally to race MX and enduro, but after a recent knee injury, i'm giving up the high impact MX and just going riding trails.

My question is how can I tame down the motor to make it more rideable ? because ATM its just an animal, I can't hang onto the darn thing.

I'll also need to change the gearing becuase it refuses to be ridden slow, i want to gear it so i can crawl through the tight stuff but still not run out of legs on the open sections.

Any suggestions ? I wanna see what options are available, to see whether its worth modding for trails or just sell up and get a WRF or CRFX etc. I wouldn't mind doing that but looking for options, because I dont really want to lose $1500-$2000 on the re-sale of the KX when its only 6hrs old.

Any suggestions, much appreciated.

Do a search on here, there are a few threads on this subject.

I have an 09 and ride mostly woods now. I have a rekluse, Yosh exhaust, Scott's stabilizer, and remapped to the hard pack setting. I love the bike in the woods now.

If you want something cheap but very effective, just add a G2 throttle with the 400 cam in it. That alone will completely change the way the bike feels and is cheap compared to the other mods.

I just had my "new to me" 2006 kxf450 out in the snow on the weekend. And didn't find the bike too powerfull at all. And this is my first dirt bike. Maybe its becuase I wasn't getting traction, but is your bike really un-rideable in the woods?

You can have it remapped to the hard track mode, this tames it down and smooths out the power delivery.

Is this an option on the 06?

Is this an option on the 06?

No. Only on the fuel injected 09 and 10 bikes

I had the same drama with mine for tight stuff i now run 13-52 and its good especially on hills. I have the sand track setting in mine and its great on fast moto tracks but not for woods. might have to see about a mapping change again. i think also set the suspension up softer it makes it much easier to ride.

Could be things like:

1. Worn top end (rings, valves, piston) and it's about to let go!

2. Poor jetting.

3. Poor traction.

4. Relatively smooth ground.

5. Clutch slip.

If none of 1 to 5, then your 06 should pull pretty hard over a very wide rev range.

I just had my "new to me" 2006 kxf450 out in the snow on the weekend. And didn't find the bike too powerfull at all. And this is my first dirt bike.

Could be things like:

1. Worn top end (rings, valves, piston) and it's about to let go!

2. Poor jetting.

3. Poor traction.

4. Relatively smooth ground.

5. Clutch slip.

If none of 1 to 5, then your 06 should pull pretty hard over a very wide rev range.

Doubt it is any of those, i'm just saying I didn't find it too powerfull. I took it on the road, it was fast. But I didn't feel like I was out of control on it. I was just gradually giving it throttle. Not hammering on it. I guess what I meant, is that it's fast but I don't feel it is un-rideable. Not to take away from the original posters question I geuss. I just watched a video on trails/enduro with log rides/rock climbs etc etc. I'm talking just wide open trails and what not. Maybe that is where I don't see the bike being too powerfull for.

Edited by Themitch

OK, so when you bike guys are talking about these different maps for the KX...

Is it changing ignition timing and air/fuel or what?

My ATV doesn't have the same computer system.

So I am just curious since I'm trying to plan for later.

It would be good to know if I would get benefit for tight woods from an ignition box also.

If so, I will add it to the list.

OK, so when you bike guys are talking about these different maps for the KX...

Is it changing ignition timing and air/fuel or what?

My ATV doesn't have the same computer system.

So I am just curious since I'm trying to plan for later.

It would be good to know if I would get benefit for tight woods from an ignition box also.

If so, I will add it to the list.

Depends on the programmer, if you use the Kawasaki programmer it will change both. Some brands change the fuel only.

Depends on the programmer, if you use the Kawasaki programmer it will change both. Some brands change the fuel only.

EXACTLY...

So when you guys say like "remapped to the hardpack setting"...

Is that air/fuel... ignition... or both?

If you guys are feeling big differences from ignition timing tuning, I don't want to miss out on that aspect.

I ride my 09 KX450 in all of the GNCC's and local hare scrambles and stuff..

My advice to you is:

Get a stainless header, the Titanium ones are so easy to bend/puncture/dent.

Get RG3 20mm offset triple clamps

Suspension setup by Full Travel Innovations (www.ftiracing.com)

Buy the Kawasaki KX Racing Software so you can tune your bike, it's really easy to do. (Most people like the hard riding surface map)

Fastway Steering Stabilizer and handguard system.

I have a ton more stuff on my bike, but these are the basic needs for the woods.

Tyleracer have you done anything to try and lightin up your KX?

I do woods riding also but I find the bike is just to friggin heavy to compete with. By woods riding do you mean more open kind of racing? Or tight woods?

I have a full stainless Leo Vince exhaust system, that lightened it a little from the huge, heavy stock silencer. I also have a Titanium shock spring. The spring alone is around 2lbs and I use Renthal sprockets.

Other than that, mine is probably heavier than stock because I run the IMS oversize tank, Flexx bars, RG3 triple clamps, Michelin HD tubes, and various other not so light parts.

I'm a pretty big guy though, 6'3" and 240 so the bike doesn't feel so heavy for me. The woods I ride are a variety, I race the GNCC series which is mostly four wheeler wide, but I also do some local hare scrambles that are single track trails. I did a local race in Virginia, where the local racers were running 26" handlebars and I was one of two 450's to show up. In that race I could really tell my bike was almost too big and heavy for those really tight switchbacks.

What all do you have done to yours?

EXACTLY...

So when you guys say like "remapped to the hardpack setting"...

Is that air/fuel... ignition... or both?

If you guys are feeling big differences from ignition timing tuning, I don't want to miss out on that aspect.

When you hear guy's referring to the hardpack setting, that's with the Kawasaki software. They send you 8 preset map packs and hard pack is one of them. They also have maps that only change the timing or fuel. You can also go in and make your own map changes to the fuel and timing at different RPM's and throttle positions your self.

The hard pack changes both the ignition and fuel.

When you hear guy's referring to the hardpack setting, that's with the Kawasaki software. They send you 8 preset map packs and hard pack is one of them. They also have maps that only change the timing or fuel. You can also go in and make your own map changes to the fuel and timing at different RPM's and throttle positions your self.

The hard pack changes both the ignition and fuel.

Thanks alot!

The ATV lacks this support from Kawi... so it's either convert it, or go with aftermarket fuel controllers and programmable ignition.

Sounds like the ignition is worth it for woods guys, so I'll add it to my list.