KX450F for Enduro/Woods.

Hey guys, cheers for all the replies, i'm warming the idea of keeping the KX now, from the replies i'm liking the sound of a Rekluse, seem very cool indeed, one question can you still overide it with the hand lever ?

Also whats the difference between this and a slipper clutch ?

So far i'm thinking

Change gearing, to maybe a 52t rear, see how i like it and go from there.

Re-Map ignition to hardpack setting.

Rekluse or slipper clutch.

Suspension re-valve and re-spring.

What do ya's think ?

• Helpful 1

I did a local race in Virginia, where the local racers were running 26" handlebars and I was one of two 450's to show up. In that race I could really tell my bike was almost too big and heavy for those really tight switchbacks.

What all do you have done to yours?

It's funny you mention that because I just did a run with some local guys in the area. Going through mostly cow trail. Some had the 26'' bars like what you were talking about, all had two strokes like the KDX 200, CR 250, etc. I was the only four stroke in this group (first time that has happened). That's when (like you) realized my bike is a bear to move around. When i got a chance to ride on their two strokes, it was so easy to flick around the trees and maneuver around technical terrain.

My bike is mostly stock with the exception of griptape on the lower part of the frame and a PMB on the end of the current exhaust. I'm just trying to get a good feel for the bike so that I know exactly what I want done to it. Which will be pretty soon.

Hey guys, cheers for all the replies, i'm warming the idea of keeping the KX now, from the replies i'm liking the sound of a Rekluse, seem very cool indeed, one question can you still overide it with the hand lever ?

Also whats the difference between this and a slipper clutch ?

So far i'm thinking

What do ya's think ?

That I can answer, and the answer is YES... you can still overide the clutch.

Engagement is tunable also.

The only 'losses' I am able to find on it in my research is the loss of engine breaking if you let the engine RPM drop below the tuned stall RPM of the Rekluse. Some mind that and some don't. You also loose the ability to roll start, and it will roll if stopped on a hill in any gear.

That's it...

... i'm just saying I didn't find it too powerfull. I took it on the road, it was fast. But I didn't feel like I was out of control on it. I was just gradually giving it throttle. Not hammering on it. I guess what I meant, is that it's fast but I don't feel it is un-rideable.
Of course power is relative to the terrain and the other engines you compare to. Ride a few other 450Fs, and yours, on some rough terrain.

So far i'm thinking

What do ya's think ?

Forget about a slipper. Think rekluse pro or the newer "core" clutch. With the rekluse you probably wont need a 52T rear!

I raced a 09 in tight single track racing in B.C last year and I started off with a stock bike and it worked ok but got suspension done, a rekluse and hard pack setting and think it is pretty awesome. I also have a 09 kxf 250 I could race an I perfer the 450. Maynot be for everyone but works for me. Ihave a couple ktm 300 buds and they were suprised how good it is . They may be switching,

Do any of these part numbers match up?

21175-0136 (adjustable ECU)

57001-1504 (signal converter)

41077-0025 (USB adapter)

You will need to buy the full kit, I have the part number and will post it later. You can't purchase individual parts of the kit from Kawasaki, or at least that's what Kawasaki told me when I called to get an extra ECU Controller.

It's funny you mention that because I just did a run with some local guys in the area. Going through mostly cow trail. Some had the 26'' bars like what you were talking about, all had two strokes like the KDX 200, CR 250, etc. I was the only four stroke in this group (first time that has happened). That's when (like you) realized my bike is a bear to move around. When i got a chance to ride on their two strokes, it was so easy to flick around the trees and maneuver around technical terrain.

My bike is mostly stock with the exception of griptape on the lower part of the frame and a PMB on the end of the current exhaust. I'm just trying to get a good feel for the bike so that I know exactly what I want done to it. Which will be pretty soon.

I would invest in the RG3 triple clamp set if you're going to do mostly woods riding. They made a huge difference in steering. You may also want to try the Neutech TuBliss system, they say the weight savings is great and very noticeable. The biggest weight saving you will probably have will be Titanium spring, Aluminum sprockets, and replacing the stock silencer. Or if you want to get really into it.. take your frame to a welding shop and have the welds ground down and tig welded. You can save up to a pound just by doing that.

You will need to buy the full kit, I have the part number and will post it later. You can't purchase individual parts of the kit from Kawasaki, or at least that's what Kawasaki told me when I called to get an extra ECU Controller.

That would be great.

I'll look for it next time I'm on.

Hmmm I'm still in two minds about the rekluse, mainly because of $$$, but on the other hand I found out they don't make flywheel wieghts for my bike so that puts the Rekluse a few notches up.

Do you loose engine braking with a rekluse ?

Anyone on here using one, did it take long to get used to ? does riding with one require a big adjustment in your riding syle ?

Cheers

I thought I seen flywheel stuff for the CRF250R when I was looking for a weight for my quad?

Looked on Stealthy's site? Dug deep?

As for engine braking with the Rekluse, the way I understand it is that it of course has an engagement RPM... stall RPM... whatever you want to call it.

So as I understand it, YES you would loose engine breaking, IF you allow the engine RPM to drop down below that RPM you are set up to.

My Polaris ATV does that crap and it can be frustrating... and a little un-nerving on steep decents... because I am used to some engine breaking... any helps in my opinion. But in the end, 2 strokes and racing 4 strokes don't produce a lot of engine breaking anyways.... unless they are geared real low.

Hmmm I'm still in two minds about the rekluse, mainly because of $$$, but on the other hand I found out they don't make flywheel wieghts for my bike so that puts the Rekluse a few notches up.

Do you loose engine braking with a rekluse ?

Anyone on here using one, did it take long to get used to ? does riding with one require a big adjustment in your riding syle ?

Cheers

Depends on how you set up the Rekluse, I have my idle turned up to 2k and with the Z Start Pro I still have engine braking. Not as much as stock, but you definately feel it.

The only adjustment I found to my riding style was downhills. Without a rekluse, I would always shit up one gear going down a hill and stay off the rear brake completely. I just let the motor do the rear wheel braking, that's why I shifted up a gear. You don't want the rear wheel to lock. If I needed to brake, I used the front lightly.

With the rekluse, that whole style went out the window and now I use both brakes and let the engine braking do the rest.

It only took me one ride to adjust to having a Rekluse. What's weird though, I have ridden with the Rekluse for so long in all my bikes, that now I have trouble riding a bike without one. I lost count of how many times I stalled the 09 when I first got it and didn't have the Rekluse in it yet.