Sign in to follow this  

Copper Coat

Hi,

Does anyone know of an equivalent to PERMATEX Copper Coat as i cannot find it here in the UK.

i ahve just ordered an Athena 290 kit so want to make sure the head gasket seals good.

i can get this in the UK

http://www.vhtpaint.com/coppergasketcement.html

thanks

ps do i need to remove the flywheel?? thinking about the tensioner blades

Edited by feckless
addition

ps do i need to remove the flywheel?? thinking about the tensioner blades

I assume you mean the two black blades that you see to the left and right of the cams that the cam chain rides along to minimise slap. No, You won't need to remove the flywheel. It can be a little tricky to get the guides back into the "notch" in the head at times. It will be self explanatory when you take it apart.

Actually, yes you should remove the flywheel because you should be changing that timing chain!

the engine only has 1000 miles on the clock

i would hope it will last longer than that

snd yes i maeant the chain guide/blades

cheers William

!,000 miles can mean a lot of things. I ride only tight technical stuff so for me, flying is about 25 mph. So to do 1,000 miles is about 40 hours ride time. A open course racer might be averaging 50 mph, so only 20 hours of run time.

You doing the 290 kit 'just because you can' ?

1000 miles based on an average of 30mph is 34hr of run time... 30mph is a high average so I would guess it would be more hours unless you are riding the thing on the road only.

$20 is pretty cheap insurance, not to mention if you change it now everything has the same time on it and you are not going to have to peel it down again ing 20hr to do the chain....Just a suggestion, pretty cheap thing to do especially if you already have everything down.

!,000 miles can mean a lot of things. I ride only tight technical stuff so for me, flying is about 25 mph. So to do 1,000 miles is about 40 hours ride time. A open course racer might be averaging 50 mph, so only 20 hours of run time.

You doing the 290 kit 'just because you can' ?

yeah just fancied a bit more bottom end.

i do not use the upper rev range much on the trails i ride so thought this may be a good investment

Gotchya. It'll be a torque monster now! :moon:

As others said, a cam chain and side cover gasket is cheap stuff. You really want to bullet proff the engine, do the chain and replace the oem tensioner with a manual one. Cam chin will last 2 to 4 times longer and never skip a tooth.

You can change these without having the head off, just have to pull the cams (watch that C retainer!!!)

I took the 290 out of my wr. Its going into my boys yzf. Thier both "02"s. The 290 was nice but I've since added a 01 cr250 and a 05 450exc. My boy wants more than his 250f provides but three years of school has left my wallet a little short. That being said we've had good service out of the 250f. A rebuild from crank to valves has made it to valuble to me to part with.

Gotchya. It'll be a torque monster now! :moon:

As others said, a cam chain and side cover gasket is cheap stuff. You really want to bullet proff the engine, do the chain and replace the oem tensioner with a manual one. Cam chin will last 2 to 4 times longer and never skip a tooth.

You can change these without having the head off, just have to pull the cams (watch that C retainer!!!)

I dont understand why you would want to waste money on this.

The OEM tensioner works fine, unless you have built an engine with massive cams and rev the shit out of it.

Dont worry about doing your cam chain now with only that kind of mileage on it. My WR 290 has over 220 hours on the original tensioner and chain. You will easily go through a set of piston and rings before you need to do the chain, and if you feel so inclined do it then.