Sign in to follow this  

Changing fork springs 09 300 XCW

Ok so I've done this in the past without the need for any special tools but the new design of these forks changes things. These forks have pre-load adjusters built in and with that the "nut/hex head thingy" that the rebound adjuster sits on is not stationary any more. It looks like I'm going to need need that fork cap removal tool for the WP forks. I'm hoping some genious on here can give me some ideas of doing this without the tool, or make one easily on my own?

Edited by Wrfrk

hey gene, assuming you remember to loosen the pinch clamp bolts, you can simply back the preload adjusters out all the way til they bottom out, then keep turning and the caps will unscrew. It may be hard the first time. It's a little annoying to have to remember and reset the preload each time, but it works.

An old-school bicycle bottom bracket pin tool also works great. that's what i use since i have several of them.

hey gene, assuming you remember to loosen the pinch clamp bolts, you can simply back the preload adjusters out all the way til they bottom out, then keep turning and the caps will unscrew. It may be hard the first time. It's a little annoying to have to remember and reset the preload each time, but it works.

I was curious about that but I was not sure if it would damage anything. You're certain I'll be ok then?

I was curious about that but I was not sure if it would damage anything. You're certain I'll be ok then?

I'm never certain of anything, but I've done it and was ok, and I've never heard of anyone hurting anything by doing it that way.

I'm never certain of anything, but I've done it and was ok, and I've never heard of anyone hurting anything by doing it that way.

Awesome, thanks for the pointer.....!

Yes it's fine.

I've done it often using this method, just be careful of the softish alloy damping nut, I kinda messed up the nut when the spanner slipped off!

Motion pro sells a tool for like $15 on rocky mount. I would never use a "adjuster" as a means of removing the end cap.

but you can, even if you wouldn't. $15 will buy a few hours worth of beer. :moon:

Just did it tonight without the special tool and it worked just fine.... I'd rather have the tool but it was do-abe in a pinch!