Sign in to follow this  

HPSD - Do I need it.

Just picked up an 08 crf 450.

So - what are your opinions on the HPSD - do I need it or should I remove it? I'd ride just motocross - mostly sandy conditions. I've talked to a few people who removed it, but maybe this is due to not having it set up properly to benifit from it.

What do you MX riders think?

I'm going to try both with and without it, but being in Michigan this might take a few months to do.

Thanks.

I just stiffened mine all the way and it helped cornering. Then again you can also get it revalved and it'll be stiffer than stock. Personally, I think you should leave it and get some seat time :moon:

With your bike on on the stand, set on it, and with both hands on the bars move them back and forth as fast as you can. You'll notice there is not much if any dampner resistance. Now take the heel of you hand and hit the bars as hard as you can, and you'll notice a hissing noise and the bars slow down. Just riding around you won't notice to much, but if front tire dances off the right combonation of "bumps" (head shake), that's when it responds at higher bar speeds. I would leave it on there. The worst it will do is not be needed for your riding conditions, but you never know. I personally wanted a little more resistance at lower bar speed, so I drained mine and put 30 weight oil in it.

This is a very sharp turning bike with the HPSD so I wouldn't want to try it without using the 22mm offset clamps. I currently have a set of 24mm clamps on it from a '07 CRF450R but haven't had a chance to test them yet and most likely won't until after Christmas.

Why look for opinions :moon:

Just take it off and ride :cheers: If you find that you don't like it put it back on

It is only two bolts isn't it????

It makes a big difference. I would think sand would be an optimum place for it too.

I ride mine at 14-16 out and someone or somehow it got turned all the way in (full soft). I went out and was scared to death because the handlebars were so twitchy. I came in and checked the damper and put it back to 15 out...it was night and day difference (better with the damper doing something).

This is a very sharp turning bike with the HPSD so I wouldn't want to try it without using the 22mm offset clamps. I currently have a set of 24mm clamps on it from a '07 CRF450R but haven't had a chance to test them yet and most likely won't until after Christmas.

Please let us know your thoughts on the 24mm offsett clamps. Did you get the Applied Racing version? I was thinking about 22mm for my bike.

Whitout the damper the bike is very nervous, especially at higher speed!

The reason for it to be there is due to the tighter 22mm offsett on the 08>

I know some people using their 08 CRF´s only for supermotard, and they put the -07 24mm clamps on to get the bike a bit more steady, naturally at cost of sligtly less turnability.

Kalle

In stock form, the factory damper is garbage, period. You HAVE to run it full hard to notice it at all. Replace the stock fluid, or send it out to FC, it's a world of difference.

From stock, the damper is´nt made to be a steeringdamper in that meaning. They put it there due to the instability that came with the closer angle of the forks compared to earlier models... But i can agree it´s a bit foolich not to make it more competitive when their at it? :moon:

To get the steringdamper to work as a damper should do, it has to be redone or replaced as mentioned.

Kalle

Please let us know your thoughts on the 24mm offsett clamps. Did you get the Applied Racing version? I was thinking about 22mm for my bike.

I definitely will let everyone know how they perform. Just to test them, I bought new OEM triple clamps from ebay and a UFO front number plate. If I like them, I may order Applied Racing clamps or I may just cheap out and buy a OEM '07 numberplate.

I like it, it stops head shake from turning into full on tank slappers. If you enjoy getting tank slappers from time to time then take it off.

There's a great thread with pictures how to rebuild it. It took about an hour for me to figure it out the first time and much cheaper than "sending it to FC." Do it yourself; just try a more viscous oil (try 7w or 10w). I think the stock oil is 5w and it breaks down quickly; you'll turn the clicker in a time or two each ride until it goes full hard and doesn't feel like enough.

If you do it yourself, it will save you time and money, and if you want to change it again, you now know how and it won't take nearly as long as sending it out.

Also, for fork adjustments, read that "DIY 04 crf450 rebuild" sticky thread...excellent, and again saves you hundreds and you LEARN something.

Try it without and see.

I put one on my 07w 22mm clamps and I liked it better.

Many factory pros are installing it on their bikes as well. Kawi, KTM, JGR Yamaha, J-Law racing, pro circuit, etc. Gotta be worth it for them or else they wouldnt use it.