Sign in to follow this  

Xr400 camshaft replacement

Hi

I am working on a rebuild of my xr400 and i want to replace my cam.I have searched in the web and forum also but all the info i found are confusing me (i am not an expert for sure :moon:)

I want to make my bike reliable and not a race monster (a lot of people here make it moster type) and i don't know what cam should i buy.

I have seen that there no stock cams easy to find (used) so i am looking for something as close as the stock one and reliable too.I have seen web cams the no. 450/451 but it says

''All around performance with added mid and upper end performance. Stock springs OK. Requires High Compression Piston, Exhaust System, and Hardwelded Rockers.''

I am also changing my pistons with wiseco ones but i want to put 10:1 (no high compression).

I have also seen 'hot cam' stage 1 but in reviews people say web cams are better.

I don't know what to buy.Cam anybody give me some advises ???

Thanks

i have a stage 1 hotcam, no problems so far in it been in a while now.

it increased the whole curve, but really notice some help in the higher revs.

i never looked into web cams, so i cant say anything about them.

you should also consider what you ride. stage 1 hot cams gives more low end, were the stage 2 hotcam gives mid to high gains.

good luck

Hotcams camshafts are made from the oem material so that you don't need to replace your rockers with hard surfaced rockers like you would if you went with a webcams.

Hotcams stage 1 cam is probably the way you want to go since you are not wanting to build a monster. The stage 1 cam provided more low to mid power. As far as compression ratios anything below 11:1 should be fine for pump gas.

Hi

I am also changing rockers so i want to buy the best (and more reliable).