Sign in to follow this  

first fork oil change...what to use

I have about 17 hours now on my 09 yz250f so im sure its time to change out the oem fork oil...the shop tells me that the yahama 01 oil is the only one to use but its near $40 a bottle and i need two bottles...

I have heard some opinions on others oils that work well with my forks but wondering if anyone can help me out here...what did you use and how did it work out? thanks

where in IL are you getting it at? Im down by Carbondale/Marion area....i havent found kyb 01, online i can get pro circiut 01 for $18, or bel-ray for $11....any opinoins on those?

If you have a Honda shop close, pick up some HP 5w. It is good stuff and reasonably priced.

I bought Honda 5w fork oil last week at my local dealer for $6.99 for a ?qt.

Looks like a quart but its at home right now so not real sure.

I recommend to use KYB 01. Showa oil is also good, I have heard Pro circuit oil is made in japan suppose to be good too.

Do you guys know for sure what is that std oil in outer chamber? It is like a gel/honey or something like that. In inner chamber, I agree that oil is same as 01.

I can say honda oil seems to come out the cleanest of any i have seen.

I can say honda oil seems to come out the cleanest of any i have seen.

I agree, I have used honda oil and maxima and the honda oil made the forks a lot more plush compared to the maxima I was using.

As others have said I like the Honda HP oils and in my area they are a lot cheaper than the Ymaha oil. Both are touted as developed for use in KYB and Showa products.

Here is a good link, scroll down to the bottom for an index of viscosities for the common fork and shock oils.

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/lowspeed.htm

I have my own blend which works better than any store bought brand I've ever tried and I've tried them all.

Of all the different brands if I had to buy something different it would be either Hondas 5wt, black bottle or Torco.

doc