Sign in to follow this  

High power battery for sxf/xcf ?

I am trying to find a battery with a higher cca rating .I am planning on using my snow bike kit on my 505 this year but the stock battery gets weak when temperatures are really low.A more powerful battery would definatley help.thanks in advance.

You could try throwing in the 7 series battery (YTZ7S). Many people, including me, have upgraded to that battery with the result of the bike starting much easier. The other day I started my 505 when it was 10 degF outside and the 7 series battery had no problem (even with 10w-50 in it). I haven't tried starting the bike at any temperatures less than that though, as I am waiting for my 5w-40 oil to come in.

From what I found the stock 5 series battery has only 70 CCA while the 7 series has 130 CCA. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by cacka_lacka

I am running the stock battery and using a battery tender. Starts much better then it did without the battery tender monitoring it 24/7.

I have a TurnTech lithium battery and it´s by far the most durable and most powerful I ever had. The YTZ7S (I had one in my Husky TE450) is good but this battery is much better.

http://turntechbattery.com/TurnTech%20Battery/Welcome.html

To add, Luiz has a 7.5Ah (I have a few in stock), that will spin the motor like crazy at normal temperatures. It may need a few pulses to warm up at really, really cold temps. The battery is still lighter than the Lead Acid at 2.5lbs. Doesn't come in plastics like the smaller ones, have to contact me off the website to order.

At normal temps the 2.5Ah will start the bike, although unless your running SX I would go with (and I recommend) the 5Ah. The 5Ah maybe fine for what you are doing but, how cold is cold?

Sorry for the sales pitch.

0.9lbs and 1.9lbs. Which Yuasa do you have? I would guess you have a 4ish pounder.

To add, Luiz has a 7.5Ah (I have a few in stock), that will spin the motor like crazy at normal temperatures. It may need a few pulses to warm up at really, really cold temps. The battery is still lighter than the Lead Acid at 2.5lbs. Doesn't come in plastics like the smaller ones, have to contact me off the website to order.

At normal temps the 2.5Ah will start the bike, although unless your running SX I would go with (and I recommend) the 5Ah. The 5Ah maybe fine for what you are doing but, how cold is cold?

Sorry for the sales pitch.

I´ll get one of your batteries but i don´t know which one. The 2,5 Amp or the 5 Amp. I have the 2010 450 SXF and i ride MX and MX only. Is the 2,5 going to enough ? And - do you know how much do the stock 3 Amp battery weigh?

I´ve never had any concerns with the stock 3 Amp (i´ve never even had the 4 Amp mounted on) on any of my SXF´s but i´m interrested in saving some weight.

The YTX5L-BS weights 3.5lbs, the 3Ah in the SX weights just under 3lbs.

The 2.5Ah will be fine for your application, I run one in my 450sx ('03, 12.5:1, 469cc). For people who go further from the truck I recommend the bigger one mainly because the lack of a backup kick starter. In GENERAL the 5Ah spins the motor a little faster than a Yuasa 7, the 2.5Ah spins it about the same amount slower.

So for my 08' 505XC-F which I have ran on the stock battery for a year now, ... I could run the 2.5 Ah Turntech battery and have no less cranking performance than my stock battery YTX5L-BS ? and save 2 1/2 pounds ?

You were comparing to the the yuasa 7 is it much better than my stock YTX5L-BS?

joet is it still ok to run a battery tender on it when the bike sits. is the lithium ion safe? i heard of reports of it being able to catch fire or even explode, is this the same risk as the lead acid or is it a higher risk?? is it mre possible when on a battery tender?? dont worry about about the sales pitch, i think we are all happy to hear about this option...

The YTX5L-BS weights 3.5lbs, the 3Ah in the SX weights just under 3lbs.

The 2.5Ah will be fine for your application, I run one in my 450sx ('03, 12.5:1, 469cc). For people who go further from the truck I recommend the bigger one mainly because the lack of a backup kick starter. In GENERAL the 5Ah spins the motor a little faster than a Yuasa 7, the 2.5Ah spins it about the same amount slower.

I want one. How do i get it to Sweden? Do you take Visa ??? The 2,5 sounds like the one for me.It doesn´t need to spin the engine faster. My bike is perfectky jetted and starts always without any worries. I even use the 3 Ah battery when we have minus Centigrades (below freezing) and haven´t had a dead battery yet.

BTW - the starter is designed to turn the engine over at approx. 700 rpm. That´s when the decomp works at its best i´m told.

The yuasa 7 is a lot better than the Yausa 5. The 2.5Ah will have about the same as your current battery. When it is cold it will behave differently than your stock battery. that is a good and a bad thing. The bad is that the first time you hit the button the lead acid will give you way more power than the lithium. The good is each successive try with the lithium will get more powerful, while each try with the lead acid will get weaker. Again this is at low temps 40 or less.

Safe to put it on a tender. tenders actually charge to a lower voltage and lower currents, which helps improve the life if your going to use a tender. using a tender is really not needed unless the battery has been drain in someway (light stayed on, fans, stator isn't charging it) or you are going to store the bike for an extended time (6+months), or you know that the bike has a draw when sitting (then you must use a tender or the draw may cause the battery to fail).

None of my bikes use a tender between rides, my wifes four wheeler sits for 4-6 months at a time, hit the button and go (except we had to jump it once when she left the key in it in neutral between rides). the 450sx stator went out and charged it before I went out again after fixing.

The batteries are made from a different chemistry than the LiPo or the ones used in laptops. Crush them, overcharge, over temp, put a nail through them they don't explode like the other lithium chemistry. I have had a couple of users put the battery in without a voltage regulator (battery saw 50VAC from the stator), needless to say it ruined the batteries, but everything, from battery box, to the airfilter, to the bike, was completely fine.

Basically you can ruin the battery, but they won't ruin your bike.

The yuasa 7 is a lot better than the Yausa 5. The 2.5Ah will have about the same as your current battery. When it is cold it will behave differently than your stock battery. that is a good and a bad thing. The bad is that the first time you hit the button the lead acid will give you way more power than the lithium. The good is each successive try with the lithium will get more powerful, while each try with the lead acid will get weaker. Again this is at low temps 40 or less.

Safe to put it on a tender. tenders actually charge to a lower voltage and lower currents, which helps improve the life if your going to use a tender. using a tender is really not needed unless the battery has been drain in someway (light stayed on, fans, stator isn't charging it) or you are going to store the bike for an extended time (6+months), or you know that the bike has a draw when sitting (then you must use a tender or the draw may cause the battery to fail).

None of my bikes use a tender between rides, my wifes four wheeler sits for 4-6 months at a time, hit the button and go (except we had to jump it once when she left the key in it in neutral between rides). the 450sx stator went out and charged it before I went out again after fixing.

The batteries are made from a different chemistry than the LiPo or the ones used in laptops. Crush them, overcharge, over temp, put a nail through them they don't explode like the other lithium chemistry. I have had a couple of users put the battery in without a voltage regulator (battery saw 50VAC from the stator), needless to say it ruined the batteries, but everything, from battery box, to the airfilter, to the bike, was completely fine.

Basically you can ruin the battery, but they won't ruin your bike.

I still want to know if you ship to Sweden and if you take Visa payment ??

I still want to know if you ship to Sweden and if you take Visa payment ??

Sorry didn't see your post. The answer is yes and yes. Send Robert an email and copy me. Both addresses are on the website.

700rpm sounds about right.

JoeT - How many years of service can I expect out of your 5ah battery?

good question, im curious also.