Sign in to follow this  

xt225 gearing

does anyone know if you can get taller gearing for the xt225 i have an 02 and would like to get a 16? for the front or a smaller 44 or less for the rear it is for the street (work bike) for gas mileage and speed thanks

I have a 16 on front for street riding, I think it helps smooth out the power band, lower revs at normal street speeds. First gear seems much more useful, will accelerate all the way thru an intersection without needing to shift in the middle. I don't feel like the bike needs any taller gearing than that. I run a 14 for serious off road riding, when I've switched to full knobbies. It's much easier to be swapping front sprockets than messing with the rear, and a lot cheaper to have a couple of choices around.

where did you find the 16 tooth sprocket for the front i can't find someone who carries them only 15 and 14 s cheaper to change front than rear thanks

I put a 16 tooth front sprocket on mine which I bought new from a bike spares shop around the corner from my house for $12.. I think it's just about right with it..

I tried a 17 tooth and couldn't get the plastic sprocket cover to fit back on.