Sign in to follow this  

Sueing Ford over the 6.0 Diesel

My employer is looking into sueing ford over the infamous 6.0 Diesel. They bought one new in 05' and it has been a complete nightmare. Looking at going the lemmon law route, or possibly getting a class action started. They are looking into hiring an attorney that has won cases against both GM and Ford in the past. This truck has 113,000 miles on it and it has had close to 15K in repairs in just the last year alone. Right now it's blown up again. It has had perfect preventive maintenance. I've spent a considerable amount of time on the net looking into this motor and it's horrific the number of issues that this motor is plagued with. What do you guys think?

• Like 1

My employer is looking into sueing ford over the infamous 6.0 Diesel. They bought one new in 05' and it has been a complete nightmare. Looking at going the lemmon law route, or possibly getting a class action started. They are looking into hiring an attorney that has won cases against both GM and Ford in the past. This truck has 113,000 miles on it and it has had close to 15K in repairs in just the last year alone. Right now it's blown up again. It has had perfect preventive maintenance. I've spent a considerable amount of time on the net looking into this motor and it's horrific the number of issues that this motor is plagued with. What do you guys think?

Durangoman didnt even make it to 55K. I have a co worker whos neighbor just had headgaskets done by a Ford Dealer, went ti Minnesota and back, same deal again.

What is the deal on these anyway.

I don't own one but one of my friends does. He has had that thing in the shop for multiple problems. Stretched cylinder studs, EGR problems, Blown head gaskets and the worst thing is they had to remove the cab to fix it once and it was not covered under warranty. Who designed the POS :cheers:

My Dodge never had engine problems…It just fell apart :moon:

Check out some of the Ford Diesel truck forums for more info - there might already be a class action suit in progress.

hunks of crap...but by god if they start, they run like a hot rod lol. I havent done a set of headgaskets in a few weeks....dang.

You never see a lower end failure and when its an upper engine prob, RARELY is it much of one. In the 5 year span theyve been out, I think only 1 or 2 needed engines and only a hand full got pistons from something letting go.

Heck, I've never seen a headgasket leak coolant into the engine ever. We've put on TONS of headgaskets and every one of them the only complaint is coolant blows out the degas bottle pulling a load. You could drive one everyday without a trailer with blown headgaskets and it would never cause a problem.

You see turbos sticking from people who use them as daily drivers on short stops

Injectors going out because of improper maintenance or bad fuel.

But all in all, catastrophic failure of any kind is pretty rare, and since they give you a full 100K 5 year warranty, Id say a law suit wouldnt get you anywhere

I don't own one but one of my friends does. He has had that thing in the shop for multiple problems. Stretched cylinder studs, EGR problems, Blown head gaskets and the worst thing is they had to remove the cab to fix it once and it was not covered under warranty. Who designed the POS :cheers:

My Dodge never had engine problems…It just fell apart :moon:

If the engine component being replaced was under warranty and they charged your friend to pull the cab your buddy got ripped.

Pulling the cab off is not a workshop manual procedure for the 6.0, I pull the cab off of every headgasket job I do just cause its wayyyyyy easier on the back, but you have to take the labor times straight from ford, you can't charge a customer more because you dont want to do a warranty job the way ford tells you to do it.

Here's where you start......sneak up behind your employer and smack them really, really hard in the back of the head.

$15k in repairs in one year? That's called stupid tax.

Before I reached 1/3 that amount, there would either have been a for sale ad or a fire.

If the engine component being replaced was under warranty and they charged your friend to pull the cab your buddy got ripped.

Pulling the cab off is not a workshop manual procedure for the 6.0, I pull the cab off of every headgasket job I do just cause its wayyyyyy easier on the back, but you have to take the labor times straight from ford, you can't charge a customer more because you dont want to do a warranty job the way ford tells you to do it.

Yup, that's called warranty fraud, and the dealer is subject to losing their franchise.....even more so in todays dealer climate.

It gets better. First off you can't sell them because nobody wants these pieces of crap. Right now my sons is down with at least 5K worth of problems. Also a co-worker just blew his head gaskets. My sons is an 04' that is imaculate with only 120k miles. The dealer will only give him 9K for it on trace because they refuse to sell them to their customers. They wholesale them out to a guy in MT that parts the trucks out I guess. It's absolutely insane.

It gets better. First off you can't sell them because nobody wants these pieces of crap. Right now my sons is down with at least 5K worth of problems. Also a co-worker just blew his head gaskets. My sons is an 04' that is imaculate with only 120k miles. The dealer will only give him 9K for it on trace because they refuse to sell them to their customers. They wholesale them out to a guy in MT that parts the trucks out I guess. It's absolutely insane.

"Only" 120k miles.....I hate to say it, but at that point is where the rest of the truck starts to nickel and dime you.

You can sell them, even if they are complete junk, heck, there's still people willing to buy mid-90's Dodge half tons. :moon:

Of course the dealer is going to give you nothing (or as close to it as he can) in trade, he's in the business of buy low, sell high.

i've got an 05' and love it! yea it's had head gaskets done, but I had them install ARP head studs to fix the problem where it starts with the torque to yield head bolts ford used that are causing the heads to lift. alot of the trucks that have had problems were because of poor maintence and people using tuners to get more power. mine was tuned and I was towing so yea that was my fault the head gaskets went but ford took care of me anyway. if you never change your fuel filters and have injector problems what do you expect? sure there are trucks that were not tuned and have been on schedule with thier maintence and had problems but you don't see many of those...

ford already "bought back" a ton of these trucks and I believe they are still doing so for the problem ones...you might check into that if you are seriously have that many problems. call ford customer support and talk nice and see where it gets ya...

As a seasoned Master Counterman, I have seen nothing but problems with these from the begining. From the torque shift trans's getting replaced before they getting on the line, to mechanical problems. These are hot rod diesel's, that needed to be driven hard, without a short daily commute. They had numerous TSB, or updates to detune them. Now the problem recently is the heads lifting, iron block with aluminum heads with that much pressure equals problems in my mind. The BRP head bolts have solved alot of issue's that I have seen. Hopefully the 6.4, and the new motor coming out will be different and have the reliabilty of the 6.9, and 7.3...

My buddy just got a 2007 F350 with the 6.0. Has a bed plate leak, and it will be at the dealer for a week. Kind of a blessing in disguise though, I guess they have to take the engine out though. So while its out hes having them install ARP headstuds. I personally would get one and do the neccasary mods. Once im in the market for a new truck ill have my Dad looking for them at the Dealership auctions.

As a seasoned Master Counterman, I have seen nothing but problems with these from the begining. From the torque shift trans's getting replaced before they getting on the line, to mechanical problems. These are hot rod diesel's, that needed to be driven hard, without a short daily commute. They had numerous TSB, or updates to detune them. Now the problem recently is the heads lifting, iron block with aluminum heads with that much pressure equals problems in my mind. The BRP head bolts have solved alot of issue's that I have seen. Hopefully the 6.4, and the new motor coming out will be different and have the reliabilty of the 6.9, and 7.3...

We test-drove a new '07 Ford P.S. at a dealer here in Cali. The truck had only 37 miles on it when we smoked a tranny on the street, at only 30 mph at half throttle. The salesman was speechless. Adding that experience to the MASSIVE problems most of the people in our group are having with them, we gave in. After 30 years and 6 Fords, we now have the D-max. (Almost went with the Dodge, just couldn't bring myself to do it).

My son and I decided he's probably not going to fix the 6.0. I'm looking for a ran out cummins to buy, I'll rebuild it and then buy the retrofit kit and put it in his super duty.

My son and I decided he's probably not going to fix the 6.0. I'm looking for a ran out cummins to buy, I'll rebuild it and then buy the retrofit kit and put it in his super duty.

If done correctly, THAT would be a great truck! (Manual trans?)

Nope automatic. I can do it for 10-12K. I've always wanted to do this. If it goes well, I'll buy a clapped out 6.0 super duty and do one for myself. I may then build a shop and do this on the side. I live in a town of 10K people and there is one guy in town and specializes on fixing ford power strokes. He is booked 30 days out all the time. His lot is packed full of oil field pickups and young guys trucks that work the oil rigs. Lots of money floating around here. I think a guy could do well doing the conversions. The locals spend huge money on trucks up here. It's insane. You have 19-20 years old kids pulling down six figure incomes.

Durangoman didnt even make it to 55K.

Yeah something like 51K and it needed a new engine.

Now that freezing arse cold weather is here I have found another problem. Turn on the heater and the cab gets stunk up with the smell of diesel.

:moon:

Firetruck Ford.

We test-drove a new '07 Ford P.S. at a dealer here in Cali. The truck had only 37 miles on it when we smoked a tranny on the street, at only 30 mph at half throttle. The salesman was speechless. Adding that experience to the MASSIVE problems most of the people in our group are having with them, we gave in. After 30 years and 6 Fords, we now have the D-max. (Almost went with the Dodge, just couldn't bring myself to do it).

we had a brand new 40tonne rock truck last year with 0 hours on it blow the tranny coming off the low bed . we had to tow it back on with a d9 .

Im still thinking about doing that . i can buy vehicles off the insurance company that have been crashed.

06-08 1 tonne loaded dodges go for around 3-4 k .

i think it would make a sweet truck.

Nope automatic. I can do it for 10-12K. I've always wanted to do this. If it goes well, I'll buy a clapped out 6.0 super duty and do one for myself. I may then build a shop and do this on the side. I live in a town of 10K people and there is one guy in town and specializes on fixing ford power strokes. He is booked 30 days out all the time. His lot is packed full of oil field pickups and young guys trucks that work the oil rigs. Lots of money floating around here. I think a guy could do well doing the conversions. The locals spend huge money on trucks up here. It's insane. You have 19-20 years old kids pulling down six figure incomes.

http://www.destroked.com/

My 6.0 blew up at 48k miles, Ford put in a whole new crate engine in it. 20k miles later, 0 problems! But if/when I do, I'm doing the cummings conversion from the website I posted above...