Sign in to follow this  

oops...

so i am in the process of changing out the countershaft seal on my 04 125. the new seal and o ring came in today. i put the seal in and then the o ring. now the spacer bushing wont go in all the way and blocks the sprocket from going in enough to get the clip on. does the o ring go in before the seal? is it possible to take the (brand new) seal out without hurting it? is the stop plate possibly on backwards? the bike is for sale so i need to get it fixed asap

Seal first.

Then o ring.

Then fit the spacer so the o ring fits in the chamfer.

The sprocket with the collar facing inwards.

Then pop on the circlip, tap the sprocket further on with a wooden or rubber mallet (or similar) to compress the o ring, then the circlip should be able to be pushed into the groove.

so i am in the process of changing out the countershaft seal on my 04 125. the new seal and o ring came in today. i put the seal in and then the o ring. now the spacer bushing wont go in all the way and blocks the sprocket from going in enough to get the clip on. does the o ring go in before the seal? is it possible to take the (brand new) seal out without hurting it? is the stop plate possibly on backwards? the bike is for sale so i need to get it fixed asap

Woah, o ring in first, then collar. New seal should be in at this point. Then squeeze the sprocket inwards to compress the o ring a smidge and install the snap ring.

Woah, o ring in first, then collar. New seal should be in at this point. Then squeeze the sprocket inwards to compress the o ring a smidge and install the snap ring.

well duh. i was asking if the o ring goes in before the SEAL.

anyway i think i got. the sproket and clip are on. will probally start leaking again in a week though...

anyway i think i got. the sproket and clip are on. will probally start leaking again in a week though...

it shouldn't if you got it together right, with the O ring properly seated. If you're circlip is worn out or your sprocket isn't correct depth, then ya, it may. Mine hasn't leaked since replacing everything in April of 2008.:moon:

OK, best way to replace the counter seals, in this case, will be the seal, oring, collar and a new circlip. Remove circlip, slide off counter sprocket. Slide off collar, pry out old counter seal. Remove small oring from shaft. Tap in new counter seal, flush with case, apply light oil on new seal lip, slide new oring onto counter shaft, gently slide new collar in place, note the inside end of the collar will have a bevel on it, this goes towards the o-ring, then install counter sprocket and snap ring.