Sign in to follow this  

Buying a Honda? Need some advice

As of now I am riding a 2001 CR 250, I will be keeping this bike.

I have never owned a 4-stroke but I am hopefully about to.

My question is WHAT TO BUY?

I raced a friends 04 YZ250F when my bike was down and it felt like I had to really abuse it to ride as fast as my CR250 so that makes me want the 450, but I like the light weight of the 250 so Im kinda stuck. I also ride woods a bit but the CR250 will probably get woods duty when the new bike arrives.

These are all brand new. So which is the best choice and why?

07 CRF450R $5,233

07 CRF250R $3,783

08 CRF450R $4,933

08 CRF250R $4,783

09 CRF450R $6,233

09 CRF250R $5,883

10 CRF250R $6,583

I paid $4,500.00 for my new '08 in Georgia so I think you should be able to do a bit better than that. I have roughly $7k in it now but it's completely set up with Factory Connection suspension, Excel rims/Buchanan spokes, etc, etc, etc.

Something to consider if you go the '09 route (i.e, I would be up around $8,750.00 with the price you posted) but I'm sure they are lighter and more flickable. Still, I couldn't be happier with the '08. :moon:

IMG_5269_web.jpg

you like the power of a 450 but like the lightness of a 250. Easy answer... get the 09 450. 450 power 250 handling

i have an 09 and its the best bike i have ever owned.

Buy the 08 450, This bike would still win all the shoot outs. Best 450 every made period. And to the guy who spent seven grand on his awesome bike. Do not forget the factory connection linkage it really helps alot.

Flyn Ryan

Buy the 08 450, This bike would still win all the shoot outs. Best 450 every made period.

To hell with shootouts, we don't ride magazines around the track.

No, but I have ridden them around my bathroom! Great toilet racing I must say!

No, but MXA calls it the way it is. No sugar coated BS like the other magazines. :moon:

No, but I have ridden them around my bathroom! Great toilet racing I must say!

That's just about the only place I ride my magazines. :cheers:

It depends mostly on how much you weigh.

If you are light, you'll have more fun on the track with a 250F so I'd get that 07 CRF250R for 3,783.

If you are heavy, you'll have an easier time clearing stuff on the track with a 450, so I'd recommend the 08 CRF450R for $4,933.

My weight changes but I stay between 175 and 190 depending on time of year and my workout. This is not an easy decision and I can't even narrow it down.

Is there a good place for me to view the changes and specs on each bike?

My weight changes but I stay between 175 and 190 depending on time of year and my workout. This is not an easy decision and I can't even narrow it down.

Is there a good place for me to view the changes and specs on each bike?

At 175 I'd say get a 250F, as you would have more fun on it at the track. At 190 you are getting into 450 territory so it sounds like you could go either way.

The bikes are all essentially the same with minor revisions that most people can't even detect. I'd suggest just getting the cheapest model of whatever size bike you decide you want.