Sign in to follow this  

Gear Ratio...

Another newb DRZ (400e) owner question that I've seen lots of info on but I'm still not really sure about. I have a stock setup and I'd like a little more top-end. Should I just get a rear sprocket with a few more teeth? What's the stock ratio anyway? I won't do much off road riding compared to my street riding so I'm not so much worried about the bottom end.

I'd like a little more top-end. Should I just get a rear sprocket with a few more teeth?

adding teeth to the rear will effectively lower your gear ratio.

you want to drop a few teeth in the rear.

i like 14t or 15t front, and 41t rear. (for the street and graded dirt roads.)

Another newb DRZ (400e) owner question that I've seen lots of info on but I'm still not really sure about. I have a stock setup and I'd like a little more top-end. Should I just get a rear sprocket with a few more teeth? What's the stock ratio anyway? I won't do much off road riding compared to my street riding so I'm not so much worried about the bottom end.

14-47 is OEM for the E

15-44 is OEM for the S

Stock power, more gear is a waste.. It wont pull it well in any case.

If your E has the OEM 14/47.. you can install 15-44 with the same chain (112 links)

Try inexpensive sprockets from Primary drive or JT sprockets in 15-44 and see what you think.

true, stock power wont pull it. i put a 16t 0n my 09 sm and it had a higher top speed with the 15. im running 16 and 41 for an 75-80 cruise speed. i rccomend going down on the rear because up 1 tooth on the front seems like to much gear

adding teeth to the rear will effectively lower your gear ratio.

you want to drop a few teeth in the rear.

That's what I meant...I do know that much from my old MX days. :moon: