Sign in to follow this  

Colorado 1st annual, Un-official, Un-organized, Rocky Mountain Monkey-Butt 500

It's HERE!!! It's UN-OFFICIAL!!!

It's the 1st annual, Un-official, Un-organized, Rocky Mountain Monkey-Butt 500 as invisioned by Raul Duke.

What the hell is it? Orginally it was to be a 500 mile loop including as much single track as possible. It's turned into a three day ride (maybe 4) starting and ending in Woodland Park and covering an estimated 666 miles.

Click Here for all the details. I will keep the ADVrider thread updated with all the details. If you don't have an ADVrider account, feel free to post responces here. I will be watching both threads, but it's easier to update the other one.

Click here for a long history of the ride.

this seems like such a cool ride. Too bad i don't have a DS bike.

maybe it's time to correct that problem.

Is there a limit on how many :cheers: you unoffically expect for this ride? Every rider I know from down south is watching this thread with the anticipation of a child at Christmas. You guys are doing an awesome job :moon: of charting a 650+ mile trail through Colorado that someone, sometime, may want to ride....say the middle July. Keep up the good work and if we can help with any information about the southern portion, Cripple Creek to Sargents area, let us know. :smirk:

Is there a limit on how many you unoffically expect for this ride?

There's no limit, it's unofficial after all. I'm already surprised at how many people are interested.

Because of the length of the ride it's going to be important to keep good time. Large groups move slow, so we'll probably end up splitting up into smaller groups (I'd guess five per group). I've found that trying to sort out groups before the trip is worthless. Once you get on the trail it quickly becomes evident what riding level everyone is on. I'm guessing after Captain Jacks we'll start splitting up. So it will be important for as many people as possible to have GPS tracks, maps, and map skills.

Ryan, any thoughts on this?

Can't wait. Gonna get a lifetime's worth of riding in Colorado in 3 or 4 days. Probably won't be able to walk after, oh well.

Sounds like an awesome idea and a great time. You should look into the forest service regulations for the maximum group size for camping. I know they have one - I don't know if they enforce it. But that might help with the trip planning.

Ryan, any thoughts on this?

The way I look at it, we post the route online and when we are starting and what day. If people want to ride the same route around the same time we do, then so be it. Otherwise they can ride it whenever, much like the TAT. We can make reccomendations of places to camp, where to get gas, and how far to go each day, but they would be just that, recommendations.

I'm going to check the FS regs on groups etc to see what they say. This is after all Un-Official and Un-Organized.

You should look into the forest service regulations for the maximum group size for camping.

What I have found so far is 25 total for camping in wilderness areas. I dont know if there is one for established designated camping areas. If you have ever seen the Terryal campgrounds in the Summer you wouldnt think there is one.:moon: Im still looking for a definitive answer...

I'm not much of an ADVR site guy. I'm going to follow this thread. I'm looking forward to going.

What I have found so far is 25 total for camping in wilderness area...

In the stuff you read, did they use the term "wilderness area?" Motorized vehicles aren't allowed in wilderness areas so our route doesn't go through any.

We'll be camping in national forest both nights. The first night we'll be camping at an official campground. The second night we'll be camping in a primative area in Gunnison Nat Forest. I found the permits page for Gunnison and there is nothing listed for group camping so we shouldn't have anything to worry about.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/gmug/permits/

I told a buddy about this, he wants to do it and wants me to go with him. I'm not sure if I can go, but if there are any t-shirts I want one. the name is priceless.

Count me in still as long as i can get off work, shouldn't be a problem though.

Only real problem would be that my bike currently wont do 120 miles on a tank, guess i need to invest in a bigger tank!! Truly glad i got rid of the 525 now and bought a 300XCW and got it plated already!! I will most likely still have one other rider with me on a plated 525 with a bigger tank already.

On a side note, i live in Woodland Park, 7 miles from the Painted Rocks CG (beginning) and only 3 miles from the trail head of 717 (finish). Anyone that is traveling here for this ride and might need a place to crash the night before or night after is welcome, i have one spare bedroom and a couple spare couches. Its also more than possible for anyone that needs it to use my house/garage for any last minute issues or as a "base camp" to park their trucks at if they are bringing their bikes in from somewhere else, obviously to an extent, i dont think 30 trucks will fit in my driveway but i have room for quite a few.

i think i could be considered an un-official, definite maybe! i will be following this thread and see what the actual dates are, but i already put my demands in with the boss for the time, so barring any catastrophes close to the trip i should be good! if anyone is traveling from southwest colorado, i could offer a ride as well, have a truck and a variety of trailers at my disposal depending on how many bikes we need to haul. question-what is the difficulty level really? i saw some of the posted vids and nothing looked bad there. just curious.

question-what is the difficulty level really? i saw some of the posted vids and nothing looked bad there. just curious.

IMO, none of the trails are harder than any arbitrary section of B trail in an RMEC Race. It is the sheer volume of miles each day that is going to make this a hard ride. I would wager a guess that says 90% of all dirt riders have not ridden over 150 miles in a single day. This ride is going to call for 200 miles each day in order to follow the hardest route.

On a side note, i live in Woodland Park, 7 miles from the Painted Rocks CG (beginning) and only 3 miles from the trail head of 717 (finish). Anyone that is traveling here for this ride and might need a place to crash the night before or night after is welcome, i have one spare bedroom and a couple spare couches. Its also more than possible for anyone that needs it to use my house/garage for any last minute issues or as a "base camp" to park their trucks at if they are bringing their bikes in from somewhere else, obviously to an extent, i dont think 30 trucks will fit in my driveway but i have room for quite a few.

Heck, you must live somewhere close to me! I'm over in the Northwoods area. I was palnning on having a few parking spots available too as well as having the garage available.

IMO, none of the trails are harder than any arbitrary section of B trail in an RMEC Race. It is the sheer volume of miles each day that is going to make this a hard ride. I would wager a guess that says 90% of all dirt riders have not ridden over 150 miles in a single day. This ride is going to call for 200 miles each day in order to follow the hardest route.

I agree 100%. The distance traveled each day is going to be the hardest part, I only did one day this past summer that was at 100 miles, most of my other days were around 70ish. Its been a few years since i've done anything close to 200 miles, hopefully i'm up to it!!

Heck, you must live somewhere close to me! I'm over in the Northwoods area. I was palnning on having a few parking spots available too as well as having the garage available.

Yep, i live kind of behind City Market off of West St.

We did 820 miles in 3 days this summer, from Rollinsville to Durango and back. Set your pace and go at it, don't try to sprint it and you'll be amazed at the amount of ground you can cover.