Sign in to follow this  

How to buy a helmet you can't find locally to try on.

I'm looking for a Shoei or Arai helmet. Nowhere within 50 miles stocks them. I've spent 3 days calling, and no one has one in stock. much less a selection of them. They all say that they can order me one and if I don't like it I can exchange it... but that does me no good. I know there are not only size differences between the two, but also fit differences between the two. According to the sizing charts, I'm exactly in-between the medium and large sizes for both manufacturers.

The only thing I can think of it to order a med and a large from each of them, and send back the 3 I don't like. I really don't think this is fair to whomever I chose to do this with. That's a lot of inventory risk and shipping dollars.... wasted.

Does anyone else have any ideas or opinions?

Thanks!

Andy

I feel your pain man... although my local Cycle Gear has the Arai and the Shoei on the shelf... I wanna try on a Bell Moto8 before I plunk down $400-$600 for a new lid. And I can tell you this... I have tried on everything else and hands down the Arai fits my melon the best. The only motivation that I have for trying on the Moto8 is that I hear they are extremely well vented and being that it's over 100 degrees out here at least half the year...that would be nice!!!

• Like 1

I use the Shoei helmets both MX and street.....I wear a size med....the street full face is a RF1000 and the MX is a VFX-W...both in a med.....never really messed with the Arai.........but I know the Shoei sizing runs pretty standard....so if a dealer close to you has a Shoei in med or large it would give you a idea.....Todd at www.helmetharbor.com is great to talk to....you can call him and he can give you great info..he is like a helmet guru....

• Like 1

Yeah. The cycle gear out here can order them for MSRP. That's just not good enough for me. Local shops at least discount them a little. :moon:

At any rate... I went down a few weeks ago, and was wearing a Vemar. Suffered a concussion. I've kinda talked myself into only a shoei and arai. I have liked Bell's in the past though.

There are a couple of places that are structured to meet your needs. The is a joint out of Phoenix (of course I cannot remember their name!) that will talk you through sizing and send you whatever you like. If it doesn't fit they'll gladly speak to you again and reship based on their conversation. They deal primarily in helmets and get it.

I really hope I can remember the name...

-Tom

Measure your cabbage carefully, buy on-line, but read their exchange/return policy CAREFULLY before you click "buy". My guess is that the mfg sites have fitment charts to refer to. Typcially you measure just above your eyebrows and around the widest point on the back of your head. I've done this a number of times and it's worked out ok.

I'm going to a motorcycle show in January - they have helmet vendors that will measure your nugget and pick a helmet from a large inventory. For a high end helmet I'd rather pick the right on the first time.

All Arai official web dealers are required to grant you 1 free exchange (shipping included). Since a helmet must fit as snug as possible, I recommend getting the smaller one if you're in between sizes. Arai offer different comfort padding thicknesses to adjust the fit.

I was right between a Small and a Large when I tried them with the rep. He had a small one custom fit for me with thinner padding over the head and thicker cheek pads.