Sign in to follow this  

CRF 150 R overheating problem

HELP I have a 2008 Honda CRF 150 R. It runs great but when I start the bike up and idol it the pipe just off the head gets RED HOT and it will spit out some Anti-freeze. I checked the water pump and its good. The bike cools down when its running down the dirt but the PIPE glows red and and spits anti freeze out at the start line waiting to start the race. Anyone have this problem or know what the problem might be.

I have looked at other CRF 150 R bikes and they are not having this problem:banghead:

Edited by raepps
misspelled word

first off I would check your cap. they can fail and cause overheating issues. Try a different one (a friends, or maybe just somebody from the track for a moto) and see if this fixes it. Thats easy and free.

What about the exaust pipe being red hot. I have been told by two people that its normal.:moon:

Yeah the pipe is going to glow after its warmed up and sits for a little while. Maybe it's running a little on the lean side also if it's boiling over. You can try turning the fuel screw 1/4th a turn out from what it is set at now. If it has a hanging idle with where it's set at now that will definetly heat it up quicker and cause it to boil. If thats the case just turn the idle down a little.

Thank you I will try the cap and anti freeze and if it still pukes out of the over flow I will back the fuel screw out a 1/4 turn and see what that does....Thanks

Perhaps you are starting the bike too early and idling too long?

Watch the guys whose 150's are NOT overheating; how long are they idling?

question #2: How did you check the water pump??

The kids on the other 150's are idoling as long as mine. I checked the water pump by first draining all the coolant and removing the water pump cover. I visually inspected the pump and made sure that it was still engaged on the shaft. I then put te cover back up and filled the radiator and started the bike and pulled the hose off the pump hosing and water shot out of the hose.

My bike is idol as long as the others. I checked the water pump by inspection of the impeller and making sure that its engaged on the shaft. I then filled the system, started the bike and removed the bottom hose and water shot out.