Sign in to follow this  

2001 KX125 Kickstart spring issues.

Took apart my kickstart, kid I bought it from said it needed a new gear. It would catch when it was warm, but not consistently. I took it apart a while ago and just getting back to it now, but the spring didn't seem right to me when I took it off. When I was trying to reverse my steps I was having trouble fitting the spring into both the kickshaft hole, and crankcase hole at the same time. If I forced it enough it might go, but I wanted to see if anyone had input before I mess something up and have to do it all over again. Could it be the spring is worn out?

There are 2 springs at work in the kick start mechanism. One big return spring, and one small spring that engages the gear sideways when you push the kick starter down. It releases when the kick is let back up because the gear has an arm that catches behind a plate and disengages it.

There are 3 possible scenarios that make the kick starter slip.

1. the most common is that the spring is just plain tired. Take out the kick axle and remove the small spring and stretch it a bit to make it stiffer.

2. The gear is worn. It needs to be replaced, or if you are skilled, it can be ground or filed sharper.

3. Least likely, but it happens, is that the oil is too thick. Either the weight, or just the fact that it´s winter. Change to a lighter oil.

The big return spring can be tricky to mount the first time. To keep it from rattling, it is preloaded.

You put it on the shaft, then mount it in the case. It´s a bit tricky, but you must turn the springs end so that it finds the small hole in the case, and at the same time make the engaging gear´s arm find it´s way in behind the metal plate. And at the same time wiggle it so that the big gear finds it´s way in.

Havent seen what the manual says but the gear that splines to the shaft has to be indexed to the shaft correctly or the spring ends up to tight or loose. Take the snap ring off and rotate the gear with the ear on it (ratchet) a little and try again. Without the book its trial and error if you didnt note how they were before disassembly.