Sign in to follow this  

kickstart problem xt 550

So I just put a new clutch cover gasket on, which required me to drain and then add new oil. The gasket works great, not leaking any oil anymore, but every since this oil and gasket change, its been extremely difficult to kickstart. Its not like it wont start if I get a smooth kick, I just have to stand on it at times to even get it to go down. It used to kick like butter, I would accidentally start it at times when I was just trying to build up compression. I did change oils from a motul 20w50($9/qt) to a castrol 20w50($5/qt). Could this change be causing such a drastic difference when trying to kick this? Or is it possible I put the clutch cover back on incorrectly? All the bolts lined up and it doesnt leak oil so I feel like the cover is on right, but Id be surprised if its just a difference of oil thats doing it. I dont wanna screw this bike up. HELP.

something is wrong with the auto-decompression cable. Either when you put it back together, you didn't get the kicker end connected right or perhaps broke the end off the cable.

What ever happened, I'm 99% sure that's where the problem is.

If you want to test my theory with a single kick, under the gas tank on the top right hand side of the valve cover is a lever, usually it has a rubber do-hickey next to it, but that could always get ripped off or rot.

Pull the lever back as far as you can and kick it. It may or may not start, but it should be super easy to kick over by comparison.

If it's still hard, check the cable anyway to be sure, it's always possible you have something that slipped out of place and is jamming the mechanism or the kick-start lever too (that would be the 100 to 1 odds guess).

Good luck.

i do remember having some issues getting that back together. ****. thanks ill try it out.