Sign in to follow this  

Feedback on how to organized the streetbike forums needed

Here's the deal... There are just far more makes/models/types of street bikes to organize the forums like the make/model forums for dirt bikes. That said, we're thinking of organizing these forums as follows and we'd like to know what you think:

1. By Manufacturer, so Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, etc.... And, when the thread is started, the user will "tag" the thread from a drop down list of categories such as: sportbike, cruiser, touring, etc...

So, when you see a list of for example "Honda street bike" threads, before each thread title, you'd see the tag so you know that thread is about a Honda Sportbike or cruiser or whatever... And, if you click on any tag, say sportbike, the thread list would be sorted and you'd only see Honda "sportbike" threads if that's how you want it. Otherwise, by default, you'd see all Honda streetbike threads, as in sportbike, cruiser, touring, etc...

2. By vehicle use/type, so Sportbike, Cruiser, Touring etc.. And, just like above, when the user starts the thread, they'd "tag" the thread with the manufacturer name. So, we'd have one forum for sportbikes and each thread in that forum woulld have a manufacturer name tag in front of the thread title, so you'd know it was a Honda sportbike thread, a Yamaha sportbike thread, etc, etc...

Hopefully I've explain this well. If you're confused by thread tags (aka thread prefixes), check this out:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=419 (click "new thread") but don't actually start a new thread. This will give you an idea of how thread tags/prefixes work.

I look forward to your thoughts. And, please try to stay on topic and if you want to criticize, it better have something more than "I don't like either". I need to know why and what you propose. Thx.

Edited by Bryan Bosch

Kind of a "six or half dozen" deal. Myself, of the 2 choices, I'd preferre the "type with brand drop downs", because I'm mostly going to head to the sport bikes. But, myself once again, I'd just use type, without any sort of drop downs for brand. Let the different brand owners of bikes intermingle, don't think there's going to be enough people here to populate that many different sections. Example: me and maybe one other in "Suzuki sport bikes", 3 in Honda, 2 in Kawi, etc.., or 10+ of us in one place.

The "suggestions" has already turned into a "General Discussion" forum, and "Pics & Vids" is doing pretty well. Just rename "suggestions" to Gen-Dis and we could more than likely get by with just those 2 for quite a while.

Just my .02.

Maybe get the ball rolling and others will chime in.:moon:

• Like 1

We're thinking option 2 because our guess is that for example, sportbike guys are going to want to hang with other sportbike guys regardless of the brand rather than just by the brand of bike they ride. I'd think a honda and yamaha guy riding a sportbike would have more in common than a honda sportbike and honda cruiser rider. That's our thought process anyway.

And absolutely, at least for now, these forums will be on the lite side in terms of activity, so we need to keep them condensed, breaking them out as activity level warrants.

And yes, we'll have a general street bike forum as well.

I think both would be best. However, I'm sure that's not an option. :moon:

Given the choices, I would say to break it down by type instead of brand.

I like the option 2 as well. I have a CB 919, and I would much rather hear input from someone with a FZR or SV than one with a Valkerie or Fury.

I'm more interested in the style (example touring) than the make of the bike. I'm looking forward to the new changes so I can include my street bike interest somewhat within the same forum as my DRZ dirt riding. I'll get twice the fix.:moon:

Honestly, I don't think there is really enough people on this forum with sport bikes to really need separate forums for all the different brands and stuff.

I think that keeping it fairly simple and keeping it to just types such as sport bikes, cruisers, enduro, supermoto, etc. would be best. Possibly with subforums in each for pictures/video, general discussion, or whatever you see fit.

I have no experience with running a forum, but I frequent them often.

At first I was thinking option 1 but then after reading some responses I woudl say number 2.

Like most have said it will be a new part to thumpertalk and until it grows you are better off grouping people together with similar bikes rather than by brand, at least for now, maybe in the future it would change but for now option 2 sounds better to me especially since I would rather talk to guys about sportbikes and supermotos no matter the brand, rather than guys on cruisers and touring bikes, no offense.

So I would vote for #2 as well!👍

Good Luck!

-mt-