Sign in to follow this  

need help with a pitbike

ok i have a 125 honda knock off pitbike that i took on trade for a set of wheels that i had. it starts up and runs perfectly for around 5-10 mins and then once it gets good and warmed up it randomly will just start acting like its running out of gas and bog and then die. i cant figure out for the life of me what is wrong with this thing. ive tried everything i can think of. ive cleaned the carb along with all the jets,cleaned the gas tank,the petcock,i've even put new fuel line on it.i've checked the spark plug for fire,tried a new air filter,even tried it without an air filter sitting on the stand completely still and it still dies for no apparent reason.what really gets me is it runs perfect for several minutes until it gets warmed up good and then just bam out of nowhere it dies.i dont know what else it could be,unless maybe the cdi box is going bad or something.i'm completely stumped.anyone have any ideas what this could be?

ok.upon further inspection,i've now also tried putting a new fuel filter in it and i've also tried drilling out the gas cap vent hole to make sure that wasnt the problem and still died for no reason. i even tried it with the gas cap off sitting on the stand and it still would just die.it ran perfect for about 5 minutes sitting there on the stand.and then after that it would start right back up and die about every 20 or 30 seconds.

I would start testing electrical components. I would start out ohming out the ignition coil. Generally from what I have seen describes what is happening to you. The coil sometimes forms cracks that you can't see and when the heat from the engine builds up, the cracks expand and the spark starts arcing against everything but the sparkplug electrode. The only problem that you might run into is finding the specs. that the coil should be reading. Good luck!