Sign in to follow this  

Carb jetting base line

I had an issue with with my 92 RM 250 running rich. After many posts and response's I came to the conclusion that my cylinder was was just plain worn out. After all its 18 years old and I really dont know anything about its history except for what I have gone through.

Anyway Ive removed the cylinder sent it off to get replated it should be back in about 3 weeks or so. So the question is where should I go back to on the carb jetting.

I know that the bikes factory stock setting for jetting at sea levele to about 1500 ft is:

370 main

45 pilot

jet needle in the middle setting

air screw out 1-1 1/2 turn

I live at or about 4700 ft and ride in areas as low as 4000 up to 6500 ft. The bike has FMF Fatty pipe, turbine core silencer, and boyesen pro series reeds (stock rad box). That is it for engine modifications. My work order for the cylinder is for stock piston size of 67 MM. So with the minor mods and you guys wealth of knowledge, Id like to get some input as to where I should set the carb up to start out with jetting wise while waiting for my cylinder to return.

Do a couple break in rides with the stock jetting, then go from there. Wouldn't try any wfo plug chops until you get some break in time. You'll probably be down a size or 3 on the main and maybe dropping the needle a tad. Let the bike tell you though.