Sign in to follow this  

Shopping for a new FRONT desert tire. Suggestions please.

I already have a favorite back tire, maxxis desert IT. Now I need a good front. I have a cheng-shin hard terrain on the front now and want to get something that has better grip in the turns. I ride all loose desert terrain with rocks the size of volley ball's. I have read the kenda's are good, but I don't know which to buy. I'm looking at the washougal medium k775 or the millville k771. I just don't want the side lugs to rip off on the first ride.

The cheng shin has turned out pretty good so far, but I need more confidence in the turns. Any suggestions?

I ride southwest terrain.

Use the Desert IT front. We ride in west texas and that is all I use on our bikes, front and rear. They hold up well and just flat work, whether you are on hardpack or sand.

I find the Maxxis SI is much better in the front than the IT. Neither of those is my favorite though. My old fav was the Dunlop 756. I'm going to have to try one of the MX51's and see if it is even better like I have been hearing.

Believe it or not ..I think,up front a soft Metzler motocross tire will do the trick,,,if You don't mind replacing it every once in a while...It has very aggressive knobbies,,,but sticks to them rocks like glue..it will last two or three times longer than Your rear tire....it works real good..it ain't to bad in that Texas mud either.....out....Dr.D....

I find the Maxxis SI is much better in the front than the IT. Neither of those is my favorite though. My old fav was the Dunlop 756.

I agree 100%. I lived in Tucson and the 756 was my favorite front, even though it's not a hard terrain or desert tire.

I also ran the Maxxis SI up front a number of times with good results, although a bit less durability. Maxxis IT and Desert IT up front disapointed me, was not happy with the traction. Desert IT out back however worked well, and lasted a long, long time, so it usually was on my bike.

I liked the kenda carlsbad front tire on my rm250. Very good wear, and a predictable tire in all conditions.

I put the MX51 on and it works really well. But guess anything over the D742 is an upgrade...spent a few days in Ocotillo and a day on some mountain trails with a ton of rocks and so far it wears and tracks really well.

My choice is the 756. Rocky mountain still has the Dunlop 756's for $49. When they run out, will go to the MX 51 replacement for the 756.

Dunlop D745. Installed one at the recommendation of the Dunlop rep out at a desert race. I love it. I've got well over 200 miles on it so far and it is still in great shape. And it takes everything that the AZ desert has to offer.

In the desert what kills my front tires is the sidewall knobs being broken or gone. I had a mx51 and I destroyed it in about 5 rides on a smoker. I've been using the IT desert lately and I do think it last longer. I did think it was pretty terrible in the sand, or maybe I was just out of practice. The chitty thing is how expensive they've gotten. $49 for a 756 is a pretty good deal though.. I guess in short I would ride the IT desert in the rocks and a 756,mx51/whatever everywhere else.

Don't rule out a Dunlop 606 for the front... yeah it's a DOT tire... But Johnny Campbell ran em on his Baja winning XR's. Wears great, stiff sidewall so not much worry of pinch flatting and it holds well...

Not recommending it cuz I don't like it on the straight aways, but it really grabs to set you up for turns. michelin cross ac 10. Just bought it and it doesn't like going straight for me, it seems to oversteer if u turn the bars, but if you set up to lean into the turn it works better than what I've used before. Even at slow speeds it seems to force you into turning by leaning and accelerating rather than turning the bars.( I am not good at turns, but lately have been working on it a lot.)

Use the Desert IT front. We ride in west texas and that is all I use on our bikes, front and rear. They hold up well and just flat work, whether you are on hardpack or sand.

+1. Some say the IT doesn't hook as well as other tires but I never had any problem with them.

the 756 is my current favorite on the front. I ran a maxxis it and it was ok, but the cornering traction isnt as good as the 756.

I think I will try the mx31 on the front next. It looks like the mx31 is a better match for the 756 than the mx51.

If you can still find the 756 they are a great front tire.

My issue with the Maxxis IT up front was that traction wasn't predictable. It didn't corner badly, it just seemed to let loose all at once when you made a mistake or pushed too hard. The 756 seems much more forgiving to me.

I've used the Maxxis desert IT and generally liked it, both in how it lasted, and how it held up. IMO, it's kind of a good everywhere, great no-where tire. It works good as terrain changes.