Sign in to follow this  

Lights??

Thinking about doing some enduros this coming year. What is the cheapest easiest way to get headlight and brake light? Don't know how many i will do and don't want to spend an arm and a leg on lights.

I see you're from Pa, what series would you be running in? Im in eastern pa and ran a couple enduros last year and plan on running a lot more this year. I run the ECEA series and could possibly answer some questions for you.

I keep researching this same question and can't seem to come up with a definitive solution.

I ended up asking Baja Designs to make a battery operated headlight/brake light system for me.

I went with the HID headlight, but for enduros only you could get away with the less expensive and more lightweight enduro headlight.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=80830

I went the eline stator route. It was a bit expensive, but well worth it IMHO. It powers 105 watts of HID and heated grips all at the same time.

Last year I tried to go the cheap route and ended up spending about 50% of what I did on the eline and it totally sucked.

probably goona try and run some aces events. They go by ama rules as far as i can tell all I need is a spark arrestor headlight and tail/brake light. I'm gonna look into the baja kit. My friend has an e-line kit for a wr 400 that he took off I may try and fit some of that on my bike. Most enduros are kinda far for me to travel so i don't know how many i will do.

Do you actually require the headlight for the purposes of lighting the path in front of you, or are you just seeking to install something to keep officials happy (meet race requirements)?

If its the latter of the two, I can point you in the right direction for a cheap LED headlight / tail light combo. There is a kit manufactured in Australia which skims enough voltage off the standard stator ignition windings to power an LED kit. You simply plug in the loom and ride away.

We use it over here to meet registration requirements. It comes with the loom, LEDs and a little bit of circuitry to do the job.

Berg

Please enlighten us. :moon:
Please do.

This is the kit. Its basically a wiring loom which is a piece of piss to fit. The black canister in the pic sits under the seat.

Enlarged photo:

http://www.smallcoilrewinds.com.au/services/media/high/ledlight/ledlightsystem.jpg

If you want to peruse the manuals / installation guides (for the AC and DC systems), go to this page to find the info:

http://www.smallcoilrewinds.com.au/services/services.html

It has connections for a brake switch. Headlight, tail lamp, LEDs (front and back). You simply graft the LED and associated fitting into a headlamp / shroud assembly. The rear LED fits neatly into an Acerbis tail assembly or equivalent.

They cost $220 (AU)... and before you ask - no I'm not affiliated with the company whatsoever, I'm just a happy customer. Fitting this kit is a lot cheaper than buying a stator with increased capacity, making my own wiring loom to incorporate brake switches .....

The modular nature of the loom (lots of spade terminals) means its easy to disconnect components and reattach as necessary (or the other way around assuming you've just had your roadworthy inspection done :cheers:)

Berg

The best and easiest way to have light for off road night ridding is a cyclops solstice helmet light, or trail tech scmr16 helmet light. Both with the Spot beam. If you need want lights on your bike for other reason thats a differant story...

Thanks berg, question did the"globes" come with the kit, and on your yz does it still light well at low rpms?

Sorry for the delay 7thirthy!

Yes, the kit comes with all the LEDs. It also comes with a a plastic surround / bezel for easy installation into a headlight shroud / tail lamp assembly.

And yes, it lights perfectly at idle. The current draw on the LEDs is so low, that's why you can get away with using the stock stator (ignition winding) to power the whole assembly.

The LEDs even light up when you gradually kick the bike over :moon:

Berg

Perfect sounds like a great way to get around a couple of inane rules without much complexity. How's the Aussie dollar doin?

I mostly race Harescrambles but do 3 or 4 Enduros in Michigan every year. I just strap on aftermarket lights and borrow a licence plate from a buddy of mine. I do not hook up any wires at all. Have not been stopped yet and always pass check. There are alot of people who do the same thing as me and race all year.

Some wire the lights to a battery with a switch just in case somebody asks them to turn them on. I'm sure the battery will only last for a few minutes, but its enough to pass check.

Yep I guess I am a cheater, but oh well.:moon:

Up here to ride on"crown" ie public land you need insurance be registered and have some working lights. Needless to say I have circumvented in various ways but should be responsible and attempt some sort of compliance... This system looks easy to remove for racing and adequate to pass some examination at the local riding holes

Perfect sounds like a great way to get around a couple of inane rules without much complexity. How's the Aussie dollar doin?

Well your in luck, the Aussie dollar dropped a few cents over the past week. It'll only go up from here though. Our dollar has been pretty strong (and our fed keeps ratchetting up interest rates) so it'll probably jump 3 or so cents soon.

Anyway, regarding the product - yes it is a good product for overcoming silly rego requirements. It was manufactured purely for this purpose and not intended for being used as a legitimate light source.

The best thing about it, is that you can disconnect each output / input device from the loom easily (ie. disconnect, tail lamp, brake switch, headlamp). This makes servicing the bike easier.

The guys who manufacture the product specialize in bike related electrical systems. I'm pretty sure its all they do.

I have NEVER heard of anyone damaging their stator by using this product - which to me is the most important aspect of the kit.

Berg

I'm gonna give them a call That looks like exactly what a need and won't break the bank thanks a ton. Was checkind out their site looks like i would still need a headlight and taillight shell????

I'm gonna give them a call That looks like exactly what a need and won't break the bank thanks a ton. Was checkind out their site looks like i would still need a headlight and taillight shell????

Yeah you'll need a conventional headlight. You simply graft the LED fittings in place of the standard lamp. A bit of silicone bogs it up nicely.

As for the tail lamp, the LEDs come mounted on a little printed circuit board, which slots straight in to one of those Acerbis tail extenders. Its a perfect fit.

Berg