Sign in to follow this  

Utah Salt Lake/Park City area

Hey guys,

I may have a job opportunity to move out to SLC/Park City. Can some people who live or have lived there give me some feedback on their thoughts? I've been there a few times and liked it a lot. But that was vaca. I live in CO and I go to the desert to ride a lot, so it will be nice to be closer.

Some plusses/minuses would be helpful. It seems like there is some excellent riding nearby, does that still hold true?

F'ing forest service just shut down all of our local trails on the new MVUM despite our protesting and asking for some more motorized trails to be added before it was finalized. $250 fine AND a mandatory day in court....for riding an f'ing motorcyle on a trail minding your own business.:moon::banghead::cheers::smirk::foul:

Anywhoo, SLC thoughts, yes/no?

Thanks!

there are lots of places to ride i live about 2 1/2 hour south of slc there is the piute atv trail in sevier county there is the dunes that are about an hour and a half south of slc

Thanks for the feedback. Does anyone else live in the area and have any thoughts on the pluses and minuses of living out there? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

I love it, there's still tons of desert and mountain riding. I am sure the fruitcakes are working on shutting that down little by little...

I live in SLC and like it. There's a wide variety of riding options. In the summer there are several very good high mountain single track opportunities. Spring and fall we go to Cherry Creek for day rides and down along the I70 corridor for weekend rides at the popular spots you probably have already heard of. Little Sahara sand dunes are next to Cherry Creek and can be riden in the winter most of the time. St George is about 4 hours away but all the good riding is closed except for many miles of whooped out wide trails.There's a couple of tracks in SLC if you're into that also. Skiing/boarding are pretty good too. The enviro nazi's are fanatical and well funded so you'll need to be ready to do your part to fight back. It sounds like like you tried in CO.

Park City is pretty expensive, probably at least 350-400k for a smaller house. SLC has a wider range but is still kind of crazy. Prices are down compared to a couple of years ago so it is a good time for buying. My biggest beef with SL valley is air quality. It can get smoggy when high pressure settles in.

Shoot me a PM when you get here. Hopefully others will give you some other opinions too.

That is awesome to hear! I am getting pretty excited about a change of pace and have some great friends that live out there as well. So if this can come together I'd be pretty happy. I mostly ride trails so the thought of being pretty close to a number of options is pretty sweet.

I haven't experienced the inversion out there, but from what I hear it can be nasty. How far out of town do you have to go to be above it? 30min?

Dont forget about Knolls. NOt sure how far from Salt Lake but about an hour- hour and ahalf from my house. Been along time since ive been home riding. Cant really remember.

How about up around Park City? Is there good riding nearby? I have a friend who lives up (Summit Park actually) there and tells me about all of this singletrack that he rides on his mt bike. Is it open to dirtbikes?

No motorized around summit park. I worked in PC for 12 years and my riding buddies live there and in Kamas. We access American Fork singletrack from Midway which is only about 20 minutes from PC. Hobble Creek/Diamond Fork singletrack is about 30-40 minutes away also plus a few other areas to access nearby. There's a lot of singletrack mtn biking in PC but the motorized is out of town.

I lived in SLC from '02 through '06.

Plusses:

Outdoors: Hiking and mt biking right on the edge of town. Best snowboarding anywhere with no lift lines. Back country skiing, rock climbing, ice climbing, mountaineering, rafting, hunting, hang gliding. The outdoor experiance around SLC is more diverse than anywhere else.

Motorcycles: Bonneville Salt Flats, sand dunes, Moab, and lots of dirt roads that wind through the mountains forever (but there is a lack of technical singletrack close to SLC).

Road Trips: You can drive to all the following places in less than a day: Moab, Jackson WY, Vegas, Lake Tahoe, and anywhere in CO. And all of these places are serious fun. If you're into the outdoors and road trips I don't think there is a better place you could live.

Minuses:

Poor attitudes: When I told people I moved to SLC from Austin TX they all asked why. The outdoor scene around SLC is amazing, most of the locals don't realize what an amazing place they live in. The poor attitudes get annoying. Try to spend as much time with mountain-type people as possible, check out the Wasatch Mtn Club.

Inversion: a two week long brown fog gets depressing. You'll need to go to the mountains a lot to escape it.

Alcohol: 3.2 beer sucks, state run liquor stores suck, State-mandated limited wine imports suck, no kegs is dumb, no one knows how to make a martini that doesn't taste like water.

Religion: The Mormon church controls the state. Everyone there is viewed as either Mormon or non-Mormon. Because of this, the non-Mormons tend stay rather sharp on their own religous beliefs. Because of this, you can't go anywhere in town (even to a bar) without hearing a religous discussion of some type. The more time you spend in the mountains the better your experiance will be.

Summary

My wife couldn't stand the inversion and the weird social environment so we moved. I like where we live now better, but if my wife hadn't insisted we move, I'd probably still be in SLC and enjoying myself. Despite the limited social scene and poor attitudes, I made some very good friends in SLC. I go back there about twice a year to see them and sometimes meet them in Moab as well. If I ever had to move back to SLC it would not bug me at all.

So if you're Mormon, you'll love it. If not, you'll need to spend a lot of time in the mountains to enjoy the area.

If you're going to move there, check out a community called Summit Park between Park City and SLC. It's not quite as expensive as Park City and it's above the inversion.

Thanks for the insight. Summit park is where I would be looking to relocate as I have some friends who live there now. I would be on the road a lot covering UT and WY for the new position, so although the social scene may be a little odd, I think I would be able to deal with that ok. Plus, I don't go out much anymore these days. My time off is spent out in the mtns.

I really appreciate all of the info. Thanks.