Sign in to follow this  

cr500 head gasket

i just got a new head gasket for my 88 cr500 and i didnt notice when i took the old one off, but does it matter how the gasket goes on?

i ask because the new one (and old one) only have 2 of the 7 holes cut out for the water jacket passages. the other 5 holes are small circular holes about the size of a pencil lead whereas the other 2 are fully cut out for the entire size of the passage.

my question is, does it matter how i position the gasket in reference to which of the 2 holes get the full opening through the gasket?

thanks

matt

I thought there was a little square tab on the gasket you line up with a tab on the cylinder. I have a couple apart right now, I'll have to look.

I thought there was a little square tab on the gasket you line up with a tab on the cylinder. I have a couple apart right now, I'll have to look.

X2 there should be a tab to line up the gasget at least there is on my 1990 and i believe its the exact same jug. As for the holes i don't remember actully i think my 90 had all of them open. i used a cometic gasket.

The two large kidney shaped holes go in the front or above the exhaust manifold.

The holes regulate the cooling of the head to promote even temperature distribution. The exhaust side of the head runs hotter so the large holes should line up with the exhaust side, small holes on the intake.

I might be wrong. I pulled apart a later model 250 recently and the intake side is more open than the exhaust side. My world has been turned upside down. But, the 500's are 1980's technology and haven't changed since so I'm pretty confident that they all run the larger passeges on the exhaust side.

when i lined up the tab on the cylinder and the gasket, it put the larger holes on the exhaust side
And the dimples up!

dimples up???? i didnt know about that!! i dont know if you saw my other thread but i am having trouble with my radiator overflowing, hopefully that is why.

ill disassemble the head tomorrow evening. hopefully the gasket is upside down and that will solve my radiator problem

heck, i forgot that i have to drain the radiator to get the head off. i wasnt prepared to do all of that tonight. ill try to get to it tomorrow, or the next day.. or the day after that

heck, i forgot that i have to drain the radiator to get the head off. i wasnt prepared to do all of that tonight. ill try to get to it tomorrow, or the next day.. or the day after that

screw on side of jug