Sign in to follow this  

Tearoff pulling Technique

What is going on when you see a Pro rider is coming out of a corner,Full throttle and he is pulling a tearoff?,do they grip the bike that much?,are they just that much stronger? :moon:

The secret is that they use your legs and take advantage of your body weight to stay on the bike. They are gripping with their legs, and leaning forward so that their body weight's tendency to want to fall forward counteracts the acceleration of the bike. This is where gripper seat covers and stepped (or bump) seats help out. The seat will hold you so you can use your legs even less and save some energy. Their hands are only on the grips to work the controls, not death grip, no pulling on the bars. If they make a mistake or get into a sticky situation then of course they will pull with their arms and hold onto the grips harder for a second. But as long as they are in control their hands are just there to work the controls, so under acceleration, where they don't need the clutch, they can pull a tear off and use their other hand to work the throttle and turn if necessary.

Damn I am far from being a pro ...... my arms and back ( lats ) are sore after a race. Maybe I need to work on leg strength. Good post thanks for the insite.:moon:

robert

The secret is that they use your legs and take advantage of your body weight to stay on the bike. They are gripping with their legs, and leaning forward so that their body weight's tendency to want to fall forward counteracts the acceleration of the bike. This is where gripper seat covers and stepped (or bump) seats help out. The seat will hold you so you can use your legs even less and save some energy. Their hands are only on the grips to work the controls, not death grip, no pulling on the bars. If they make a mistake or get into a sticky situation then of course they will pull with their arms and hold onto the grips harder for a second. But as long as they are in control their hands are just there to work the controls, so under acceleration, where they don't need the clutch, they can pull a tear off and use their other hand to work the throttle and turn if necessary.

Makes sense,they make it look so effortless:thumbsup:

Check out James knee, it pressed up against the tank and he is leaning forward, I only wish I could pull them there. I guess practice makes perfect.

I usually pull mine on a jump or straight away. I have a bad tendency of grabbing all of them on the first lap and ripping them all off. I need to stop doing that lol.

Before next season starts I plan to do "tear-off practice" since I really suck at it. Out of the hundred or so motos I did last season I don't think I pulled more than 10 tearoffs in a race. The roost isn't sticky mud usually.

One of the last races it was like 10" deep mud at the start. Going through the first corner it got really soupy. I was next to the leader, but on the outside and a little behind him, and got hit with a tidal wave of mud and couldn't see a thing. Struggle to pull a tearoff, then when I finally got it I got passed by a bunch of guys and got blinded again. I went from 2nd to 15th or so by the time we were on the actual track.

I'm sure if I practice and go through a 25 pack in the garage sitting on the bike, then load up tearoffs on practice days and go through a 25 pack while riding, the $30 spent will have a much bigger impact on my results than a $30 practice day.

Before next season starts I plan to do "tear-off practice" since I really suck at it. Out of the hundred or so motos I did last season I don't think I pulled more than 10 tearoffs in a race. The roost isn't sticky mud usually.

One of the last races it was like 10" deep mud at the start. Going through the first corner it got really soupy. I was next to the leader, but on the outside and a little behind him, and got hit with a tidal wave of mud and couldn't see a thing. Struggle to pull a tearoff, then when I finally got it I got passed by a bunch of guys and got blinded again. I went from 2nd to 15th or so by the time we were on the actual track.

I'm sure if I practice and go through a 25 pack in the garage sitting on the bike, then load up tearoffs on practice days and go through a 25 pack while riding, the $30 spent will have a much bigger impact on my results than a $30 practice day.

Cheaptearoffs.com is your best friend. That's where I buy all mine. Can't beat 50 tear offs for $12 plus shipping. I usually order 200 or so at a time.

Cheaptearoffs.com is your best friend. That's where I buy all mine. Can't beat 50 tear offs for $12 plus shipping. I usually order 200 or so at a time.

Are they good? Compared to like the expensive ones?

the cheaptearoffs.com tearoffs are a little bit thinner then the expensive ones, but who cares. your going to pull it off and leave it on the dirt, so as long as it keeps the dirt off the one behind it it does its job, and they do it just fine.

Are they good? Compared to like the expensive ones?

yes, as far as quality, there really isn't any difference. At almost $1 a tear off for the name brand ones, that's crazy. haha I would feel bad everytime I pulled one off.

haha ya getting those tear offs.....off can be tricky and i guess more practice makes it easyier............the pros making everything look easy, ijust dont get it