Sign in to follow this  

help with painting

So recently, i was in an accident where i basically destroyed my left shoulder putting me out of riding for 6-8 months but that is besides the point. in the meantime while im out i would like to trick out my bike to make the best out of my situation. i was wondering if anyone has any inexpensive way of painting parts of my bike black such as rims, frame, and swingarm and the paint holding up no matter what i put it through (if it matters, the frame is currently polished and it didnt turn out how id imagined which is why id like to paint it black). and also during my accident, my pipe was dented and was wondering if anyone has tried freezing their pipe to remove dents and experienced good results? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by crf250ryder4life

i would not reccomend painting the aluminum frame. from what i've seen paint does not hold up very well on the aluminum frames. as for you other parts if you want the longest lasting best looking finish get them powder coated. that is by far the most durable route when it comes to paint.

i would not reccomend painting the aluminum frame. from what i've seen paint does not hold up very well on the aluminum frames. as for you other parts if you want the longest lasting best looking finish get them powder coated. that is by far the most durable route when it comes to paint.

ok what about anodizing? i know nothing about it... whats the difference between anodizing vs. powder coating? do you have an idea of what powder coating costs? and just so im clear, you wouldnt reccomend powder coating my frame?

Anodizing is electroplating and will put a layer of color lover an aluminum part. It looks great. Powdercoats however these days can imitate anodizing and will have lesser wear and still is your ultimate choice.

Anodizing is electroplating and will put a layer of color lover an aluminum part. It looks great. Powdercoats however these days can imitate anodizing and will have lesser wear and still is your ultimate choice.

ok and is it a good idea to powder coat my frame black? because someone above said he wouldn't recommend it. and also does anyone know approximately how much it would cost to powder coat my rims, swing arm and possibly frame?

The other drawback to anodizing is that the process eats all the ferrous metal (steel) in the threaded tabs on your frame, so it must be first masked off (painted with silicone). I had a Hard Coat Anodizing treatment done on my frame, and I love it. Hard coat is dull, however. If you're going for bling it's powder coat all the way!

I notice you said the frame is currently polished. Whichever process you choose you may want to make sure to prepare the frame uniformly. The surface texture will show through and the job will look much better if it is either all polished or all textured. I had a friend put the frame in a bead blaster for just a few minutes before I anodized, and it really helped the finish quality. I've seen some really unbelievable semi-transparent powder coat over polished frames that just look sick.

-Tom

The other drawback to anodizing is that the process eats all the ferrous metal (steel) in the threaded tabs on your frame, so it must be first masked off (painted with silicone). I had a Hard Coat Anodizing treatment done on my frame, and I love it. Hard coat is dull, however. If you're going for bling it's powder coat all the way!

I notice you said the frame is currently polished. Whichever process you choose you may want to make sure to prepare the frame uniformly. The surface texture will show through and the job will look much better if it is either all polished or all textured. I had a friend put the frame in a bead blaster for just a few minutes before I anodized, and it really helped the finish quality. I've seen some really unbelievable semi-transparent powder coat over polished frames that just look sick.

-Tom

ok so my biggest concern now is the price, i need numbers at this point. and has anyone tried filling their pipe with water and freezing to remove dents?

If the aluminum frame is down to bare metal already, then spraying it with vinegar, letting it dry, then washing it off will etch the frame enough for paint to adhere very well. Done it many times. People always thing I'm full of it when I tell them this but it does work.

If you have the bucks, then powder coat it like everyone said. If your poor, do the vinegar trick.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, I also like to heat my parts before spraying although I hadn't done a frame with heat, I've done many cases. Never had a problem with a frame cold though. Vinegar, Rinse, Heat, then spray it while it's hot. Paint soaks into the open pores and it's not coming off !!

Rev

To powdercoat a frame say black or something it will be around $130, for special colors it could run you a quite a bit more pending you already did the prep work.

Anyhow whatever you do just don't get it painted or you will be banging your head when it rubs off after your first ride.

i advised you against powdercoating the frame because it looks really tacky on an aluminum framed cr. plus it still doesn't hold up that well, its better than paint but not great.

i've seen a few cr's with frames powdercoated black and it didn't hold up that great. it still chips and gets scraped up. i say leave the frame aluminum and just PC your other parts. the nice thing about the aluminum cr frames is that they always look new.