Sign in to follow this  

08 crf450

Im looking at picking up an 08 crf450 all stock except an fmf pipe on it. The pictures of it look clean and all. Is there anything I should know about the 08s any problems with em or anything or anything I should pay close attention to when i go look at it?

Im looking at picking up an 08 crf450 all stock except an fmf pipe on it. The pictures of it look clean and all. Is there anything I should know about the 08s any problems with em or anything or anything I should pay close attention to when i go look at it?

Nothing in particular. Some people say the stock suspension is harsh, but i haven't found that to be true. They are a great bike.

Check for new ones though. I picked up mine brand new in August for 4500 OTD. :moon:

Check for new ones though. I picked up mine brand new in August for 4500 OTD. :moon:

Same price for a new one here. :cheers:

Be careful when draining the trans fluid. The drain bolt come out of the side rather then the bottem. It goes thru the engine side of the case and bolts inside of the trans case. Easy to strip if your not careful. You may have to split the case if you strip the threads.

Great bike, I have 2 now and have owned a total of 5 different 08's. I'd keep an eye on the clutch, leave always a little play at the lever and if you need to adjust dont forget to put it back to normal before it gets cold. I'd say its a very weak clutch, basket included, weaker than previous years. You can easily get to the 100h mark by just changing oils and filters frequently. I have an FMF powerbomb/powercore and carb adjusted and defenetly makes a difference, better response especially at the bottom, tall SDG seat and suspension(for me) is a must; as in every Honda you shouldnt forget to grease the linkage bearings, especially the shock bearing which needs to be greased even more requently than the rest. Get rid of the stock chain and rear sprocket as soon as you can. I'd get rid of the stock tubes and put thicker ones since they are very thin

Great bike with a nearly flawless engine. I'm running a carb wing, Quickshot 2 accelerator pump and a Yosh slip on. I've owned an 04, 06, and 08. The 08 is the best although the 06 engine was great too. Keep the valves in spec, run clean oil, and keep the air filter clean.

If you buy a used one make sure it starts easy. Make sure the engine is cold when you start it. Some guys will warm the bike up just before you get there to make sure it starts easy. The first sign of valve problems is difficult starting.

Good luck!! It's a great bike with no major flaws.