Sign in to follow this  

LightSpeed CF products?

Was thinking about their CF tank cover and the CF ignition cover, but I've heard mixed emotions on the quality of their product. Opinions anyone?

Everything I've ever gotten from lightspeed has been junk. It is not uncommon to get parts from them that don't even come close to fitting right or that are very flimsy and crack. Having worked in the carbon fiber business a little bit, I know some of the difficulties that can arise from time to time, but most of lightspeeds problems are unacceptable.

Everything I've ever gotten from lightspeed has been junk. It is not uncommon to get parts from them that don't even come close to fitting right or that are very flimsy and crack. Having worked in the carbon fiber business a little bit, I know some of the difficulties that can arise from time to time, but most of lightspeeds problems are unacceptable.

Any other companies offer the tank and ignition wraps? I see that Carbon Fiber Works doesn't offer either of the products.

Any other companies offer the tank and ignition wraps? I see that Carbon Fiber Works doesn't offer either of the products.

Not that I know of. Those pieces are just pure bling anyways. The tank cover doesn't see any sort of stresses, so if you get it it won't matter if that is low quality. You may have to oval out some holes to get it to fit right if it's like any of the lightspeed stuff I've bought. The ignition cover wrap is another pure bling part, but it does see some abuse from your boot and I have seen those crack quite often. Lightspeed doesn't sell the actual carbon fiber ignition covers and clutch covers anymore, but they sucked as well. I had a few of them b/c they were the only company making them for a while and they all leaked and I broke two of them. I feel like a $200 cover should fit when you bolt it on. No amount of silicone gasket sealer would keep those things from weeping oil. I've had Boyesen aluminum clutch covers on 4 bikes now and have never broken one or had one leak (and it is nice that they are 1/4 the price of a lightspeed or Hinson cover).

I bought the CF frame guards back in Apr 07. They began showing wear ( a quarter sized rub through the weave pattern) within 1/2 dozen rides. I still have them on and if I put tire dressing on them they look OK. I had to add washers(as spacers) behind the mount hole to keep them from cracking.

The rub spot is 3X that now.

That's all I have ever heard about them, must be a really crappy product.

I've had a lot of parts from carbon fiber works and have always been happy with them. They don't always make the prettiest parts, but they normally fit pretty well and hold up decent. IMO they make the best quality cf parts you can buy off the shelf.