Sign in to follow this  

just picked up my first bike 1999 rm250 have some questions

Whats going on guys just picked up my first bike its a 1999 rm 250. i have raced b class national level with quads now for 6 years and picked this bike up to learn somethin diffrent. This bike is clean i just have some questions. I s there a web site that has specs of how much transmission oil it takes and all the usual stuff like that? Like i said the bikes cherry never realized how big the 250s are. the guy said he was running a 50:1 mix using amsoil dominator oil. I would just like to put some fresh tranny/ clutch oil in it just dont know how much. any help is appreciated

thanks James

There should be an indicator bolt on the right of the clutch cover, set the bike level and fill it until the oil runs out. It should take 850ml of oil.

Yup, 850cc of oil.

I use this to get it right:

1453A.jpg

BTW: Opinions on the ratios for the premix oil vary greatly, but I think most will agree, 50:1 seems a little high. I run mine at 32:1. It smokes when its cold, but really, once its warmed up, it does just fine smoke-wise. I don't think it hurts performance any either.

Oh yeah, as many will tell you, first thing first, DO THE TOP END! $125-$150 in parts will give you a lot of peace of mind...

There should be an indicator bolt on the right of the clutch cover, set the bike level and fill it until the oil runs out. It should take 850ml of oil.

Is that what the phillips/hex head bolt is on the side of the cover??? I always wondered...

Is that what the phillips/hex head bolt is on the side of the cover??? I always wondered...

Yes, that is what it's for. :moon:

Whats going on guys just picked up my first bike its a 1999 rm 250. i have raced b class national level with quads now for 6 years and picked this bike up to learn somethin diffrent. This bike is clean i just have some questions. I s there a web site that has specs of how much transmission oil it takes and all the usual stuff like that? Like i said the bikes cherry never realized how big the 250s are. the guy said he was running a 50:1 mix using amsoil dominator oil. I would just like to put some fresh tranny/ clutch oil in it just dont know how much. any help is appreciated

thanks James

I think the AMsoil stuff is Junk, but there are people that use it with success.

If you raced then 50:1 won't cut it for ya. Stick with the factory specs at 30:1. 32:1 is close enough and find an oil that is readily available to you.

Pick a brand of premix and stick with it.

Good luck and welcome to the Zook pinger forum!:moon:

I think the AMsoil stuff is Junk, but there are people that use it with success.

If you raced then 50:1 won't cut it for ya. Stick with the factory specs at 30:1. 32:1 is close enough and find an oil that is readily available to you.

Pick a brand of premix and stick with it.

Good luck and welcome to the Zook pinger forum!:moon:

hahah thanks for the welcome so i should mix up a batch of 32:1 when this gas thats in it is gone? and also what kind of clutch/tranny oil do you guys reccomend?

thanks James

UA will say Bacon Grease.

Mihylo33 swear all the time, but he's an avid fan of silkolene (he's also sponsored by them).

Some satists that post here would have you believe ATF or Rotella 15-40 are ok.

I'm probably going to take some heat from Mihylo33 but I usually stick with Bel Ray Gear saver.

The best thing you can do is fine a product you like and stick with it.

nice pick up, im not a suzuki fan but in my book any bike is better than a quad. :cheers:

you will hear all different ratios run in these 2 strokes but i run my yz250s at 32:1 for woods riding and 40:1 for track riding and the bikes love it! just wanted to warn you though, switching from 50:1 to whatever you chose to go with will require some changes in jetting! so once you figure out what you want to go with stick with it (use a ratio rite) so your precise and jet it accordingly! no one will be able to tell you what they will be exactly but once you get a baseline someone will point you in the right direction!

theres soo much good advice from knowledgable people on here you might as well use it right? :moon:

UA will say Bacon Grease.

Mihylo33 swear all the time, but he's an avid fan of silkolene (he's also sponsored by them).

Some satists that post here would have you believe ATF or Rotella 15-40 are ok.

I'm probably going to take some heat from Mihylo33 but I usually stick with Bel Ray Gear saver.

The best thing you can do is find a product you like and stick with it.

Ditto!

Just make sure its Silkolene!

haha! Nah, Spike is right find one that suits you and use it.

thanks again for the help another stupid question any tips on starting this thing in the cold. choke it and give it gas or just choke? these may be stupid questions but i never owned a 2 stroke or a dirt bike haha

Turn choke on and open the throttle a couple times to prime the carb and kick it over.

Let it warm up with the choke on, after its gotten warm enough turn the choke off.

Depending on how much the temperature has dropped, you might have to re-jet your carb for optimal performance.

I used suzuki CCI pre-mix at 32:1 and ATF type F in the gear box. Any motor oil that is not energy conserving will work fine in the gear box however.

got a new plug started her up today took it up and down my street jesus christ powerband much haha i would have gotten into bikes sooner if i knew they were like this

got a new plug started her up today took it up and down my street jesus christ powerband much haha i would have gotten into bikes sooner if i knew they were like this

Hehehe...

My bike is a 2 stroke and my car has a turbo... The insane acceleration motivates my purchases.

:moon:

Hehehe...

My bike is a 2 stroke and my car has a turbo... The insane acceleration motivates my purchases.

:moon:

haha well like i said ive been racing quads for 4 years and have national motors etc. but nothing is like a 2 stroke i guess haha

haha well like i said ive been racing quads for 4 years and have national motors etc. but nothing is like a 2 stroke i guess haha

Where in NJ do you live?

I think most 2-stroke manuals will say 32:1 which might be ok for the track, but if you take it in the woods you'll want to lean it out to 40:1 to prevent a fouled plug.