Sign in to follow this  

Where the heck is the VIN on a XR70?

Dumb Q here...... I have a 1999 Honda xr70 and can't find the VIN on the frame anywhere. I worked in a bike shop for 8 years, checked vins on hundreds if not thousands of bikes and have never been this stumped.

I pulled the tank and seat and went over the frame with a careful eyeballing....NOTHING!

???....?

It should be up along the right front side of the steering stem neck, as you sit on the bike, under the black and silver Model sticker, behind the front number plate.

Yeah that's where the VIN usually is on most bikes but there is nothing on the steering stem. Its in perfect shape, not a scratch on the paint, smooth as a baby's behind on the stem, no markings of anykind.

There is no model and year sticker either.

I have a 2000 xr80 as well and it has the sticker like you describe and the VIN stamped into the frame on the steering stem tube (like it should be)

i have both a 1998 and a 2001 xr70 and both have sticker and vin stamp on the head tube...it is possible you have an aftermarket frame.

Or is there a chance the Frame was Powder coated? Cause I had my '86 CR 250 Powder Coated and you can't see the Number, I had to point a Flashlight right at it to see the Vin Number.

Edited by 99Kawi_KX250

you sure it's not an aftermarket frame or like previously asked...painted over or powdercoated?

Thanks for the replies.

Just for sure I went and eyeballed it again and there aint nothing there.

I bought this bike from a reliable source when it was a year or two old. It looked brand new. Was used by a kid just a few hours and was bone stock. As a matter of fact it still has the factory tires on it.

It would be crazy to think of an aftermarket frame that looks exactly like the stocker (why make an aftermarket w/o performance benefits?), wouldn't it?

Is there a chance Honda just neglected to put a vin stamp on this one?

Really, weird!

Also no evidence that the frame may have been painted. Actually no evidence this thing has ever been modified or disassembled beyond the maintenance I've performed.

There should be a frame paint code tag (NH-138) on the main spine of the frame, just behind the lower engine mount (I think).