Sign in to follow this  

clutch when shifting

ok so this is the question it will sound kinda dumb since i have been riding for like 12 years do you use the clutch when you shift up...the reason im wondering so late is becouse i had read this in a motocross book but i was never tought to use the clutch to upshift and i had never done so and nothing had ever happened to my bike and it felt normal but recently i had my tranny go on my YZ250 when i was practicing at a track so have i been wrong all these years please help

i say no. a lot of people say you can. i say you can only rub two pieces of metal together so many times. sooner or later it will brake. proven fact. go to search bar at the top. type in trans or gear box. most were caused by shifting with no clutch. but most people will lie to you it seems. to see you mess up your bike. i have been at the track n heard older guys tell kids it is ok . then turn around n tell their buddies watch that kid tear his traney up

so it is bad for your engine to shift up with out the clutch wow i have never used the clutch

You can shift up without the clutch, but with the stop button held in when you shift. I hear that takes the stress off the tranny gears so its safer that way when you don't want to use the clutch... I'm not 100% sure though.

I think its ok once in a while, but the clutch is there for a reason, it's definately harder on the tranny. I have rebuilt a few, and when you shift you are forcing one row of gears to slide into the other. If there is pressure one way or the other (either acceleration or decel) that transition becomes a lot harder and just slams the gear down or up into place. In theory if your timing was absolutly perfect when you up shift and there is no pull from the engine either way, the shift would be smooth enough too not use the clutch, I am the only rider in the world with this talent and it should not be attempted by any one else.... Ever

Hope this helps (btw downshifting with no clutch: brutal)

Edited by Goiterboy
Grammer

Use the clutch on revved out upshifts...just be sure to do it lightning fast. And when I say lightning fast, I mean so fast that it sounds like you're not even shifting from a bystander's point-of-view.

PS I have had several mechanics and racers tell me that Yamaha's only weakness is in the tranny. If you miss a shift, let the RPMs fall back down to Earth before completing the shift.

• Like 1

I agree with the missed shift post. If it revs to the moon, don't stomp it in gear. I was a yamaha and honda mechanic for 17 years and todays bikes shift sweat compared to the older models. History, in the 70s and 80s you could not so called power shift the bikes with out something hand grenadine. In the last part of 80s to 90s the shift drum, shift forks and gears were improved and power shifting was like an upgrade (faster lap times, less missed shifts). The modern 125s and up cc bikes realy power shift easy (not the 85s) and realy is a racers edge. I power shift all my bikes and tell my kids to do the same. Just my opinion. Have a good day.

I have a 2007RMZ450, I only use my clutch when; starting from a dead stop, fanning in a corner, and when stopping. If standing, I up-shift and down-shift without the clutch. I slightly cut the throttle though.

Without using the clutch, my bike up-shifts very smoothly while under power.

The modern MX bike is designed to shift, they aren't XR's or 1960 trucks. That being said, the harder you use something, the more it will wear. The MX bike transmission is designed for hard use.

Lets take the post one step up :moon: Motocross, woods and all types of off road riding.....do we want to heat the clutch up? No..so what happens every time you grab that clutch lever? You slip the clutch. Slip clutch = heat. Heat = brunt clutch plates and glazed steel plates, and loss of clutch life and hp power. Power shifting (lets call it that) reduces the amout of clutch time and keeps traction on the ground (to the rear wheel). I don't know a motocrosser that uses the clutch down the straights. Clutch off the gate and bang the gears. You hold pressure on the shifter and the motor will find a happy spot to shift. I recommend pulling in the clutch to down shift because of engine drag and you are going from lower rmp to high rmp when down shifting. Have a good day.

Clutches exist for a reason. You might be able to get away with it for a while but sooner or later, clackity clackity!

• Like 1

Having no load on the gears is no load on the gears no matter what causes it. Whether it's because of no throttle or pulling in the clutch, no load is the same so clutchless shifting is fine as long as you're off the throttle.

There is some really bad advice in this thread. Ride your bike the way you want to. Use the clutch or not, its up to you to decide.

These modern motocross bikes are built to change gear without the clutch. They are built to race, they are meant to be ridden hard and fast all the time. When the sequential gearbox was invented its objective was faster shifting with next to zero interruption in torque output i.e no clutch disengage required. It wasn't invented for motorcycles but its compact size and simplicity made it ideal for them. I seriously doubt that half the guys who think that you have to use the clutch could even describe how a true sequential gearbox works. You will get dog wear on your gears whether you use the clutch or not. Like the clutch/piston/brakes your transmission is going to wear with use, expect it, inspect it. As for the guy who reckons you hit the kill switch when changing gear - good luck!

By the way......Why would you ever use the clutch on a downshift? Especially on a 4st. Its not a roadbike, you don't need to worry about it spitting you off. Entering a corner you will downshift and start to use the engine braking, you won't get that with the clutch in. If you clutch in when entering a corner your not in control of the bike. I'm sure thats a tip from Gary Semics.

Personally I'm an engineer, I know how the gearbox works, and what it can take. Full throttle upshifts are occasionally done with a bump of the clutch lever, other than that its used for taking off and stopping, a bit of slipping/windup through the berms and brake tapping. Thats about it. If you are serious about being a half decent motocross rider then you aren't going to be pulling the clutch lever in and letting it back out smoothly on every gear change.

With my YZ-400 in a race siruation, as mentioned, I use the clutch at the start, fanning in corners AND on the way to the first corner after the start. I'd start in 2nd. gear and with the throttle PINNED, I'd shift into the higher gears WFO and thats ALL I used it. Someone said this causes extra wear??? I'm in a RACE, not going to the grocery store. But you gotta use your head. On downshifts, don't just BANG-BANG-BANG down. Wait til the rpms are at least close. On upshifts, you can tell how much wear you're doing. The louder the bang, the more wear! The only time I didn't worry about matching things on downshifts, as someone said was downshifting in the air.

As for the guy who reckons you hit the kill switch when changing gear - good luck!

I don't personally change gears like that, I only heard it somewhere.

It didn't seem so stupid to me because its similar to what some super cars use, isn't it? They have an electronic cut-out device which cuts the spark for only milliseconds, long enough to take the load off the gears for them to shift.

Could you tell me why it's not a good idea?

Plug prob so hot that the engine will still fire for at least a few strokes, so I can't see how it would be effective. I know if I hit my kill switch and then release it I certainly don't see any instant drop in revs. Anyway, hitting the kill switch and shifting is too much to think about - may as well just grab the clutch and shift. Or just use no clutch.

This subject has been discussed to death. There is no need to use the clutch for upshifting or downshifting either. And no, your gearbox will not be harmed by doing it.