Sign in to follow this  

kx250 shift drum removal

If you didn't see my last post I bought a 2000 kx250 that needs a full rebuild. In my manual I can't find anything on removing the shift drum plate when splitting the cases. I't has an allen bolt going through to the drum inside the case. When I try to turn it it just spins with the plate. I did find instructions in the manual for installing it before you put the case back together. It just says "use suitable to hold the shift drum and tighten bolt" So, do I leave it on until I split the case and if so what should I hold it with? This is my first bottom end rebuild and any advise would be greatly appreciated.

If you didn't see my last post I bought a 2000 kx250 that needs a full rebuild. In my manual I can't find anything on removing the shift drum plate when splitting the cases. I't has an allen bolt going through to the drum inside the case. When I try to turn it it just spins with the plate. I did find instructions in the manual for installing it before you put the case back together. It just says "use suitable to hold the shift drum and tighten bolt" So, do I leave it on until I split the case and if so what should I hold it with? This is my first bottom end rebuild and any advise would be greatly appreciated.

you can leave it on to split the cases, hold it with some pliers padded with rubber or a rag or something

Thanks... I was hoping so. In no1clyde's teardown of his ebay motor he shows the clutch side stripped down before splitting the cases and his was removed. Just making sure it wasn't required. Now i've run into another problem. The bearing my governer sits in that is pressed into the clutch side engine cover is shot! When I slid the governer assembly out the inner race of the bearing came with it. How do I get the outer race out? Keep in mind its pressed into a recess in the cover with no hole on the outer side to press it out. This bike is turning into a nightmare...

Thanks... I was hoping so. In no1clyde's teardown of his ebay motor he shows the clutch side stripped down before splitting the cases and his was removed. Just making sure it wasn't required. Now i've run into another problem. The bearing my governer sits in that is pressed into the clutch side engine cover is shot! When I slid the governer assembly out the inner race of the bearing came with it. How do I get the outer race out? Keep in mind its pressed into a recess in the cover with no hole on the outer side to press it out. This bike is turning into a nightmare...

blind bearing puller, or you can come up with other creative ways of doing it

blind_bearing_puller_900.jpg

I figured i'd need some type of puller...I think autozone has one like that in they're loan a tool program...I'f not i'll probably cut it out. I can barely afford the parts as it is.