Sign in to follow this  

Help with some jetting please- anyone in ohio?

Thank you for checking out my thread and giving me whatever advice you have. I recently purchased my 05 crf 230. It now has the cannon race craft fork springs in it which makes it ride real nice, but the question

I have for now is my jetting. I live in columbus, ohio and the elevation is at 800 feet. I took the small baffle out of the exhaust and took the snorkel off the airbox, put the 132 main jet in, the power up needle with the clip in the middle position and changed the pilot from a 42 to a 45. I do have a extended fuel screw on its way to my house, but its not due to be delivered here till monday. I was trying to adjust the low end today and its making the cracking sound right from o throttle to barely 1/3 throttle (after warmed up). The air screw is out I believe almost 3 turns. Sound like I still need a larger pilot jet? I guess it would help if someone at my elevation told me what pilot jet they are using. Thank you.

No way you would need a larger pilot than a 45. I have the same, am in Michigan, and everything sounds good so far except the air screw. Just from memory 3 turns sounds like a lot. Maybe someone else can chime in, but so far you're on the right track.

-Tom

No way you would need a larger pilot than a 45. I have the same, am in Michigan, and everything sounds good so far except the air screw. Just from memory 3 turns sounds like a lot. Maybe someone else can chime in, but so far you're on the right track.

Everything sounds good but the air screw? you saying your air screw isnt right?

I don't remember where my air screw is, maybe somewhere around 2 1/4 turns out?

***DISCLAIMER***

My memory sucks. Big time.

***END OF DISCLAIMER***

3 turns out sounds like a lot of air. I'd check mine, but it's stacked up in my garage between a CRF450 and a Triumph 675 and they're all hibernating for winter!

Again, hoping someone else chimes in and drags me up out of the mess I've made by opening my mouth. Free Bump :moon:

-Tom

The adjustment screw adjusts fuel, not air. You may very well need a 48 pilot jet. No two bikes are ever the same. I have jetted numerous 230's that needed a 48 pilot jet. You don't want to exceed 3 turns out on the mixture screw because there is a potential that the screw can work it's way out by itself if turned further out. Not good.

The reason for this is, there is a spring that aids in holding the screw in position. when the screw is turned out beyond 3 turns, the spring provides little tension on the screw, thereby losing its effectiveness to keep the screw in place.

If your bike exhibits lean conditions with the fuel screw adjusted at 3 turns out, that is your indication that the pilot jet is too small. Best to install the next larger size pilot jet and start over with the fuel adjustment screw set a 1 turn out. Fine tune from there.

I have yet to tune any stock 230 that needed anything over a 48 pilot jet.