Sign in to follow this  

we f-ed up, big time

well i rebuilt my topend today and i let my brother put in the o-rings and thought nothing of it until i put it back together and poured in antifreeze and had it leaking from the top of the cylinder, what do i need to do to fix this? if never had this happen before and i imagine im going to have to tear apart the bike to put new o-rings in along with draining the oil? any other problems to be concerned with?

Nope justchange your o-ring unless you have reason to be concerned with another part. No need to drain the oil though. Just the antifreeze.

Not the oil. The crankcase is separate from the gear box so there should only be some coolant in the cylinder if any at all depending on the position of the piston. Did you use OEM gaskets or the aftermarket ones?

aftermarket ones that came with the wiscoe connection i think they were called,how do i get the coolent out?

aftermarket ones that came with the wiscoe connection i think they were called,how do i get the coolent out?

Yeah I never use the aftermarket stuff because none of it fits right especially the O-rings and seals. You have to use the OEM stuff, It doesn't cost more Its just better!

to get the anti freeze out, pull the jug and lay the bike on its side and use compressed air to get most of it out. If the motor is out of the bike then just turn it upside down. I would then pour a cup of premix fuel into the bottom end and slosh it around a little and then remove that the same way.

He must have not gotten the o-ring seated in the groove. I have used aftermarket gaskets before, but the OEM ones are much better.

He must have not gotten the o-ring seated in the groove. I have used aftermarket gaskets before, but the OEM ones are much better.

Which ones have you used?

The ones that come with the Wiseco kit, the Cometics and the Athena gasket kits have all been junk. They were always too big.

If you got the Wiseco and athena kit, those O-rings had to be stretched a bit to fit in the groove. At least thats what I had to do and it mentions it in the instructions.

no i got the cometics, the one that was on the bike before is fine the inner o-ring fits perfect and no antifreeze/coolant seemed to get in the cylinder/bottom end and the oil isnt milky i am now debating putting the old one in there because it is in perfect condition, the gaskets all fit fine just not the outer o-ring

Which ones have you used?

The ones that come with the Wiseco kit, the Cometics and the Athena gasket kits have all been junk. They were always too big.

I've used two moose complete gasket and seal kits, none of the gaskets or seals leaked.

I've used two moose complete gasket and seal kits, none of the gaskets or seals leaked.

LIAR!

Didn't you have to replace the crankseals after about 30hrs?:moon:

I've had a similar problem with Athenas outer gasket. I just cut a small section out of it so that it just barely overlapped.

After clamping down on the bolts it sealed fine. Then next time I took it apart the gasket had molded into one piece.

I just fitted a 80 with an oversized Wiseco piston and aftermarket gaskets, and found that the o-rings seemed to be a larger diameter (height, not circumference) and when fitting the head they seemed to squash out of the grooves. When you torque the head and check it it should be uniform, mine was not. When I pulled it apart again the outer ring was actually cut and left debris on the mating surface.

I thought the head or jug might have been flattened, and did not have anything to spec it against. So it was off to the dealer, and factory o-rings fit the grooves perfectly, so I redid all gaskets with OEM and have no problems so far. Parts were really not to expensive at the dealer, compared to aftermarket. Think it would be a good idea to stick to OEM for gaskets and the likes? Might same some time down the road.

BTW, this site is great. I got some good advice when my son started on a vintage 50 cc and now for a Christmas present he is getting a '92 RM80 that has been smiled on. I think he will be hooked, and might even talk the old man into getting off the iron head Harley and into the dirt again.

LIAR!

Didn't you have to replace the crankseals after about 30hrs?:moon:

No, it was actually just a clogged pilot jet. :cheers:

No, it was actually just a clogged pilot jet. :moon:

No you said you replaced the Crank seals after 30hrs or so. I have to dig it up, but I'm pretty sure it was in the kitchen thread (RIP)