Sign in to follow this  

What Would I Benefit More From?

I've been riding about a year and a half. I weigh 180lbs without gear and ride a YZ125.

Do ya'll think I would benefit more from getting riding lessons from an ex-professional or would I be better off getting a 250f?

Not that I could actually get a bigger bike right now, just curious. All my friends say I need a bigger bike and some say riding lessons aren't worth it. But I was just curious as to what ya'll think.

I'm planning on the lessons by the way.

Yz250!!!!!!!

Or lessons if you are the type to take things seriously and plan on taking the risks to learn the game in a few lessons. Or disciplined enough to continue practicing the skills he teaches you.

A 250f would give you quicker gains, but I believe riding lessons would have a more long term benefit. And Oh Yea,

YZ250!!!!!

ive had a 125 weighing 198lbs +. it taught me to carry speed thru turns, how to clutch and how to go fast. get the lessons, keep the bike. 125's are the most fun big bikes, imho. if you want a little more oomph, get it bored to a 144.

unless you race regularly, and need to win to put food on the table or look at yourself in the mirror, don't worry about it. its all about the fun factor...

Lessons!

There are plenty of guys on 250's that can smoke 450's. Why? Because they have mastered the controls.

Displacement is only linked to one of the five things that make a bike do what you tell it to do.

Lessons and seat time. About 1 1/2 months ago, we were out riding at the track. One of the guys I ride with is an ex-supercross racer. He is fast and good to say the least. One of his buddies from the track offered up a CRF100F for him to ride. After he hopped on it, he asked me if I wanted to race him. With a huge grin on my face, I said yes. He usually rides a 2007 YZ450F and so do I. I figure a 450 vs a 100 is no problem even at my beginner level. I may be able to beat him finally. Needless to say, he won that race because he had the proper skills and could use every 100cc of power from that bike. All I could do was laugh. Now, every time I go to the track, I have a goal and I work on one of my weak areas.

Keep the bike and do the lessons. I like the part about the yz250 though. Here's another one. Get training dvds. I have a circle of friends and when one gets a video it gets copied and shared. I say start with skills 1,2 and 3 and dirtwise from shane watts. You may like the skills 1 first since ryan hughes uses a ktm 125 as his bike and training tool . Watch it over and over . You get your moneys worth for sure. I have just about all of the training vids from the last 10 yrs . I have some training books too(promx and offroad riding techniques etc, dirtrider has a rider book too can't remember the name) . Those are great. It is all good . Some of the old books are from 20 yrs ago don't think the same strategies don't apply. Eric gorr has some great books. Get his "Offroad and Mx performance handbook" . That is one of the greatest books ever because his setups help you ride your bike faster. His books have setups for specific bikes and tuning tips. My wife hates my vids. I put them on when doing the bills or folding clothes or anytime. It all helps and I forget and relearn stuff all the time. I keep the books in my van and at work and bring it with me when waiting in line at the bank. It is kind of crazy being an old guy like me doing this. It reminds me of when I was in high school and being the typical obsessed dirt bike rider. Now that I am older I know physically I am at a disadvantage so setup and technique mean more. It all helps and to me it is fun.

I am going to get this next:

• Like 1

If it were me I would take the lessons and get the 144 kit for sure. I just started riding motocross and would love some lessons cause I need it

I would avoid 250f's for as long as you can Breeze, because once it grenades on you...and it most likely will if you are fast...you will be out an obscene amount of money. My friend's '07 YZ 250f that he bought new last year and maintained religiously grenaded on him last month, and the final shop bill topped out around $2k! And it could have been worse, according to the mechanic!

I think you would benefit most from: fresh top end, rear tire, lessons, intense training, and relentless practice. Training and practice separate the men from the boys :moon:

Edited by guitarnut57
Spelling

i have a friend who just did a lesson camp. he went from somebody who peddled through corners with his feet off the pegs to somebody who stands into the corner and throttles out while leaning the bike pretty far over in a corner. looks like somebody who's been riding for a few years, not a few months which is the case.

Definitely lessons. And DVDs. And practice. I need more of this myself, but keep putting off spending money. And what will happen is that next time I enter and enduro I'll be sitting on the start line thinking "oh feck, why didn't I have those lessons? I dunno what I'm doing here!!!!"

Hey, where in Georgia do you ride? I'm up in Canton (Cherokee County) and ride at Talking Rock MX Arena. I would be interested in possibly sharing some lessons with you to help with the cost if you are up to it. I have a yz 125 as well and just started riding this summer at the ripe old age of 38. let me know...

Hey, where in Georgia do you ride? I'm up in Canton (Cherokee County) and ride at Talking Rock MX Arena. I would be interested in possibly sharing some lessons with you to help with the cost if you are up to it. I have a yz 125 as well and just started riding this summer at the ripe old age of 38. let me know...

Thanks for the offer but you are wayyy above me on the map.

Who are you getting lessons from?