GasGas TXT80 ???

I would agree with fester on the power of the GG80 , my son had an 03 80 when he was 9, and it was enough then , but now at 13 it would not even be close. Also depends on his size i suppose , if hes average sized (and growing ) I might really think about putting him on a 125, youll get more time out of it for sure. Chad:cheers:

the 80 is a dog from the get go. We suffered through that bike because i purchased it new and had no choice but to have my Son ride it for a season.

We were going to jump to the 125 and passed on that for an 09' 200. My son is now 14 and this bike will do anything he wants it to do.

My advise by more power than he needs and teach him throttle, clutch and brake control.

Thanks for the info.

The bike would be used for crosstraining for H/S & Enduro.

I also have a small 9 yr old that would use the bike also

so that's why I was thinking of a 80cc bike.

Are all the 80cc trials bikes underpowered when they

have 21" & 18" wheels?

I had a TXT280 and it sure helped by off road skills.

If your son is just starting out, any of the 80's are a good choice. The Morini motors hold up really well to alot of abuse. The betas are tough as well. The small bikes are easier for a young rookie rider to handle in a crash/get off/tip over and to develop confidence. The 80's turn tighter than a full size, longer wheel base bike and they can have plenty of fun on one even if they arent big power house bikes.

If your son is Avg sized 12 y/o, this is about the time many EXPERIENCED riders move OFF the 80's and into somthing bigger. I like 125's for the next stepping stone. Pat Smage recently wrote that he attributes the 125 to helping develop many of his skills.

As it sounds like you are in the 1st group - I would pull the trigger on the bike and let him get into the sport. Even if he only stays on it for a year, you can sell it for close to what you paid and go from there.

Keep it fun.