Sign in to follow this  

is one better than the other

looking to get my son a yz250f, and have found an '02 and an '03. is there any difference in these two years? thanks for any reply's

go as new as possible. with out being able to see the bikes.we cant really say much besides go as new as possible.if i remember right the yzf's are all basically the same with minor changes up until recently

01-02 were the first generation, 03-05 were second generation, 06-09 were third generation. The engine has only had minor changes over the years, but everything else has changed quite a bit. Within each generation there were small changes made between years, but the bikes are pretty different between generations in chassis, body work, and suspensions.

If the 02 has the auto decompression than it is fine, not sure when that was introduced. I am sure the 03 has it.

Cleaning the carb is not too bad. Do not remove the TPS screwed to the outside of the carb. And be sure you get

the slide mechanism back in the same orientation. Remove the jets one at a time. Use compressed air and carb clean, and blow thru the passages.

If the 02 is still the manual decompression ( small lever mounted near the clutch lever ) your son will hate starting it. Go with the 03, or plan to put a auto decompression cam in the 02.

Go and read Yamaha's recommended servicing requirements for these motors, eg. Piston and ring replacement intervals, valve replacement intervals etc, and then decide if you still want to buy a 7-8 year old four stroke motocross bike.

Just my Opinion.