Sign in to follow this  

I yearn for simplicity!!!!!

Currently, I ride a WR426...nice bike yet heavy in the woods...not to mention a tough one to start after a fall...and maintenance...All I hear in the back of my head...KISS:

For woods: a kdx200/yz250/kx250

For fire roads, adv, baja: xr650r/xr650l

I suppose that a cr500/kx500 can't be toned down enough for the tighter trails and that their effectiveness in the more open areas, for the uses I describe, are just not the right tools :<

Any constructive thought appreciated.

kdx is a lot simpler than a motocross bike will be, the simplest though would have to be an older XR400/250, or a crf230f... bullet proof bikes.

Want simplicity? KTM 300.....Incredible lugging ability for a 2 stroke, very easy to ride an lightweight. Way less maintenance that a 4T. I used to be a sworn 4 stroke guy until I rode one....Now I have 2 of em.

X2 about the 300

but, a CR500 with a flywheel weight and jetted good is a very very good do it all bike, they do VERY well on tight trails.

I rode one for years, then thought about doing an Alumframe conversion ..... I rode a 06 KTM300XCW and that was it for me....

My CR500 sits in the shed now

*** If you "think" you want a CR500 ..... Get a 500, you will not regret it at all !! (92 and up are better)

x3 on the ktm 300 i was a 4 poke guy until my ktm 450 topend let go once i rode the 2006 ktm 300 xcw i was hooked and the tunabilty is unlimited its really a do it all bike

I have a friend with a KX500(not sure what year) and he put hand guards, a fly wheel weight, a head light, and some armor on it and trail rides the heck out of it. I've seen this thing lug through mud and up some hills that were pretty impressive. He also does not have a problem in the tight stuff and he destroys us all on the straights. If you can find a kx or a cr go for it.

The definition of tight trails varies greatly across the country, a 500 would just wear you out around here. Still own one and it sits collecting dust. Life's short though, try em all.