Sign in to follow this  

xr650l chain wobbling?

first off..i am baaack!!

been out tearin it up on the street with a set of 17" rad rims..originally for a xr 600 as it says on the rear hub.

but i was noticing my chain getting tighter and looser..and thought it was maybe that i wasted a chain with replacing only the rear sprocket and chain..now i have all new sprockets and chain..put them on tonight and rolled the bike...low and behind it still gets tighter and looser when i roll the bike!

the counter shaft looks ok..an ideas folks?:moon:

i am going to bring the rear wheel into the shop to have them check it for being true..but would that cause the problem?

maybe thats what i get for getting a used set of rims huh?

thanks guys!

Hello.

It may be that your axle center line is not concentric with your sprocket center line.

Put your bike on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground.

Stand on the sprocket side of the bike.

Spin the rear wheel while facing the sprocket and see if you can see the sprocket moving out of round.

If it moves, see if the sprocket bolts are tight.

If they are tight, take the sprocket off and try moving it around on the hub one hole at a time.

You may be able to make it better.

If you can't make it better by moving the sprocket around, your hub may be damaged and you may have to replace it.

Moto

Hello.

It may be that your axle center line is not concentric with your sprocket center line.

Put your bike on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground.

Stand on the sprocket side of the bike.

Spin the rear wheel while facing the sprocket and see if you can see the sprocket moving out of round.

If it moves, see if the sprocket bolts are tight.

If they are tight, take the sprocket off and try moving it around on the hub one hole at a time.

You may be able to make it better.

If you can't make it better by moving the sprocket around, your hub may be damaged and you may have to replace it.

Moto

thanks,i just put on a new sprocket and it acts the same..but i know the bolt holes were looses when i got it and they are badly worn.

however,i did rotate it and could not detect it being out of round.

i am guessing that it needs to be done more precisely and that my hub may be damaged somehow. the sprocket has almost no play when the bolts are in. it is so close that the movement is almost nill.

If you have a run of tight links in your chain, it would tighten and loosen as it runs through. Take off your chain and check for tight links. You chain may be shot.

If you have a run of tight links in your chain, it would tighten and loosen as it runs through. Take off your chain and check for tight links. You chain may be shot.

Yes, this is possible even with a new chain. If all the links don't move freely it will get tight.:moon:

yes,the links are tight..but this is my third chain this year and they just keep stretching.

i have tried keeping them looser than normal.

the main thing is after riding for one day on the street even i check it and it is loose and people say they see it wobbling.

never had the trouble with the stock hub. i checked the rim today and it seems slightly off. the sprocket is maybe 2 mils out of center and it seems to move left to right maybe 2 mils. doesnt seem like that would make it tighten to very tight and then when rolled a bit it is looser than normal adjustment.

anyway,thanks..i may have to bring it to a shop..gulp.

i usually find i do better work and hate the work most of the shops have done.

Sorry, get it fixed and consider it a lesson learned.

When you find out what happened, let us know.

Then, ride it hard :moon:

the bearings seem fine,i took my old dirt hub today and put it on..guess what,no run out.

so it is the hub,but i still am surprised that what seems like a very small left to right movement of the sprocket and an even smaller front to rear movement(which i can't figure out yet)

would turn into what seems like 1/2" or more of chain sag. i am taking the rim in to a shop to have it checked..i am suspecting a bent adapter plate but there has to be more than that. i will keep you all a posted..thanks for the ideas and responses.