Sign in to follow this  

Big bore for xr80r, why can't I find one?

I see a big bore kit for everything under the sun except for thumper 80's. I want to take my son off the klx 110 for bigger suspnsion travel and 5 gears but as it is, he is going to miss the power of the 110 unless it gets big bored. Any leads?

powroll has a 95 kit or you can get a 100 engine and have many more options then sell the 80 engine, this is what i did

been down that road, and the power gains are minimal until you go big (takegawa etc) and that requires a xr100 base engine. save your money, let your son wring it out for all its worth (and gain valuable seat time) and eventually step up to a bigger bike. just my too sense.

I just raced a friend with a 110 I have an 80, almost dead even, but who cares about drag racing just a little comparison. The 80 is more fun, feels lighter and suspension like you said is better. The clutch just adds the fun factor and you can get more power when needed.The 80 is a great bike to learn/master the clutch/braking/throttle control on, a must for all biger bikes anyway.

I was looking into big bores and went back and forth with a few great guys on here less than a month ago with helpful information. I just bought a 100 the other day, I need to ride them back to back to make a decision as to what to do. Maybe going to small wheel the 100 or just swap motors and sell the 100 with the 80 motor, just more options for the 100 motor. Drag race, the 100 is slightly quicker however feels stronger on a roll out of a turn. I will probably make money on the deal and get the best of the two bikes. Looking forward to doing the swap in the next few weeks. Get that boy on the right color, a Red bike and with a clutch, good luck:thumbsup:

You can build the KLX into a bike that no XR can touch. It's expensive, but you could do it.