Sign in to follow this  

is a 1986 yz125 bad for a beginner

:moon: my mom wants to start riding. i have a 1986 yz 125 for her to try. will it be too much for her? she has never ridden

How tall is she? Is she a couch potato or very active? Has she ridden bicycles? Does she ride horses?

Is she a total klutz or very coordinated?

Could be a lot of bike for a beginner, especially if she's timid. I had an 89 CR 80 and used to shoot it out from under me all the time. I hated that thing! But maybe the old 125 are more tame then the old 80's.

If she's determined to ride though, she'll probably be fine. Just give her a heads up about the power band.

Yikes, I would be scared to ride that! =) Just kidding!

Depends on your mom, but you dont want to scare her away from riding, timid bikes would be my choice, but I learned on an 80 2stroke at 7 years old because thats all we had. So if you could get her a more dosile bike, go for it, but if not try it out. Just explain to your mom that this is an agressive bike, and make sure she knows about the powerband like the person said above me.

She rode it. it needed a piston. it was lacking in the power department. she didnt go fast enough to open the power valve up lol. I let her ride my crf150 first. she fell and couldnt pick it up.

She rode it. it needed a piston. it was lacking in the power department. she didnt go fast enough to open the power valve up lol. I let her ride my crf150 first. she fell and couldnt pick it up.

she couldn't pick up the 150? If so, she'll never pick up the 125 because it weighs more and is much taller.

1986 YZ125 197lbs.

2009 CRF150R 169.7 lbs.

2009 CRF150F 222lbs.

Just remember though that a 2 stroke will always feel lighter than a 4-stroke because the mass of the engine is very low in the frame. 4-strokes will always feel heavier.

The YZ125 would be just fine as long as you lower it enough so your mom feels comfortable with the height. Also, a flywheel eweight will make it that much easier to ride as well.

Good luck! I am sure either choice would be fine!

One last thing, the CRF150F is really heavy for my wife. I am strongly considering a 125 or KTM 150 for her right now due to weight . She will get used to the power......

the crf150r is 30 pounds lighter than a 125, that is a huge amount less.

The weight is quite high in the frame on the CRF Chadk66. The CRF150F will feel heavier than the YZ125 even though it is heavier. The 125 will also be easier to start and they have one already so there is no need to buy something new. i suggest putting a lowering arm from Yamaha on there and drop the forks accordingly. The lower it is, the easier it is to pick up the machine and give the rider confidence. 4-strokes are fine, but they are expensive when they need to be fixed. I use a 4-stroke for quads, but I sold my 450's and bought 2-strokes for weight saving and ease of repair.

The weight is quite high in the frame on the CRF Chadk66. The CRF150F will feel heavier than the YZ125 even though it is heavier. The 125 will also be easier to start and they have one already so there is no need to buy something new. i suggest putting a lowering arm from Yamaha on there and drop the forks accordingly. The lower it is, the easier it is to pick up the machine and give the rider confidence. 4-strokes are fine, but they are expensive when they need to be fixed. I use a 4-stroke for quads, but I sold my 450's and bought 2-strokes for weight saving and ease of repair.

The CRF does not feel heavier than the yz125, I have both in my garage. They kick over pretty much the same. And as you stated the lower the bike the easier to pick up. The CRF is much lower than the 125 and will always be easier to pick up. You are right, the four strokes are more expensive to fix, however with her riding it, I would doubt you'd ever have to do much if anything to it.

The CRF does not feel heavier than the yz125, I have both in my garage. They kick over pretty much the same. And as you stated the lower the bike the easier to pick up. The CRF is much lower than the 125 and will always be easier to pick up. You are right, the four strokes are more expensive to fix, however with her riding it, I would doubt you'd ever have to do much if anything to it.

I agree that the 4-stroke would in all likelyhood not need repairs with a non-aggressive rider. I still believe the 125 will feel lighter when lowered to a similar height to the CRF150R. I could be wrong though and will stand corrected if proven wrong:thumbsup:

I agree that the 4-stroke would in all likelyhood not need repairs with a non-aggressive rider. I still believe the 125 will feel lighter when lowered to a similar height to the CRF150R. I could be wrong though and will stand corrected if proven wrong:thumbsup:

the 150 is %30 lighter. you could melt that 125 to the ground and it wouldn't feel light.

well the 125 is about the height of a crf230 with the shaved seat i put on it. it is pretty good for her. i think she might need a 250 tho.