Sign in to follow this  

Tool box?

I did search and nothing came up...

Why the heck are Champion (Factory Box) tool boxes so expensive? Are they worth it? Or can someone else suggest something comparable for the money.

I want something with a good quality lock, handles, ball bearing drawers and 5-7 drawers.

Thx

You really cant go wrong with the Kobalts or Craftsman. IMO, the Snap-On's, Champions, and Macs are really overpriced (just like their tools)

Yeah you get a Lifetime Warranty on your tools, but you do on Craftsman or Kobalt as well, and you dont have to wait for the Tool Rep to come to town and hunt him down to get what you need.

I'd check Harbor Freight to, they are constantly starting to stock more and more quality products. Its worth a look.

I've got a 11 drawer Craftsman - Ball Bearing that is about a year or two old and it's held up just fine. I don't have a problem with the lock either. The locks are just cheap toolbox locks. Nothing special about them.

I have replaced Craftsman tool box locks with locks you can get at the hardware store. Just standard cabinet locks. Not sure what you are looking for as far as tool box security but the latching mechanism is the week point, not the lock tumbler itself. A hasp and padlock is an option i guess.

I guess I am just looking for durability, a good locking system that can be pried open with a butter knife, and good ball bearing drawers...

If you spend the money, make sure it has ball bearing drawers. :moon: No matter what the brand. Also, some people are hard up for money now, so call around to your Snap-on or Mac dealer for trade-ins, or they may know someone selling one.

You really cant go wrong with the Kobalts or Craftsman. IMO, the Snap-On's, Champions, and Macs are really overpriced (just like their tools)

Yeah you get a Lifetime Warranty on your tools, but you do on Craftsman or Kobalt as well, and you dont have to wait for the Tool Rep to come to town and hunt him down to get what you need.

I'd check Harbor Freight to, they are constantly starting to stock more and more quality products. Its worth a look.

There is absolutely no comparison between Crapsman and Snap-On. That being said Crapsman is adequate for most home wrench benders. I have left shops because the mech's tool box was filled with Crapsman.

As for tool boxes, you get what you pay for. If you compare like size and features on the box the Craftsman is not that much cheaper. But it will weigh a lot less, because they use thinner sheetmetal in the construction.

There is absolutely no comparison between Crapsman and Snap-On. That being said Crapsman is adequate for most home wrench benders. I have left shops because the mech's tool box was filled with Crapsman.

As for tool boxes, you get what you pay for. If you compare like size and features on the box the Craftsman is not that much cheaper. But it will weigh a lot less, because they use thinner sheetmetal in the construction.

For one, he never stated whether he worked in a shop, but since he is looking for his own toolbox, one would assume that he is using it for the track/around the house. And yes, the sheetmetal is thinner on the Craftsman, but your wallet will be thinner after you fork for the Snap-On.

That said, Craftsman tools are just fine, aside from your rachets and other tools that have mechanically moving parts, which the Snap-On and Mac's may be built with better quality parts and with more care. For wrenches, there is not much comparison. I use a variety of Proto, Craftsman, and Snap-On tools where I work, and while I will give it to you that the mechanical tools (items that contain moving parts) are built better and may possibly last longer, the solid hard tools are on the same playing field.

And for my own personal tools, I'll stick with the Craftsman so if my rachet breaks, I can drive 4 miles into town and pick up a brand new one. No Questions Asked, instead of waiting a week, or 2, or 3 for the tool truck to swing by.

I did state that for the avg user craftsman is adequate. But there is a big difference between the tools even in non-mech. Snap-on wrenches are made to closer tolerances than Craftsman. I have taken off hardware with a Snap-On wrench that already had begun to round off from an inferior tool.

As stated for most guys the Craftsman is good enough 90% of the time. But to think or say they are just as good is flat wrong. I keep a Craftsman box set in my truck for the reason that if it wlks away I would not be in tears.

Again, I was wondering if anyone had an experience with the "champion factory tool box"...

Is it just an overpriced craftsman? I read reviews on the craftsman boxes, and people like them a lot IF locking mechanisms are not that important... as it seems that drawers can easily be pulled open despite the box being locked.

I did state that for the avg user craftsman is adequate. But there is a big difference between the tools even in non-mech. Snap-on wrenches are made to closer tolerances than Craftsman. I have taken off hardware with a Snap-On wrench that already had begun to round off from an inferior tool.

As stated for most guys the Craftsman is good enough 90% of the time. But to think or say they are just as good is flat wrong. I keep a Craftsman box set in my truck for the reason that if it wlks away I would not be in tears.

Hmmm Jake you changed it back to Craftsman instead of crapsman between your two post?? Very snotty post imo!! I have a hi-end Mac box , a Cornwell box and two Craftsman boxes. I dont find that much difference between any of them to justify the $4000 difference in the pricing!! I bought th Mac set up when I was younger & working at a highend shop where it wasn't cool to have craftsman. They all do the same thing as in hold my tools in one area, keep them secure (change the locks on a decent craftsman box and your good to go) so alot of people do not want to pay crazy prices for a tool box when they can buy a brand new bike for the same price!!

To the op's original question about the Champion box. Yes they are really nice tool boxes and they are expensive as well but you'll need to justify to yourself if they are worth the price or not because its your money thats buying it! At $340 on sale, I >personally< would not spend my money on it just because of the big motorcycle badge running across the top cover but thats just me. Im with others that feel a $200 or less top box would do the same job for alot less money. Its all in personal preference!!

My experience with my last Craftsman box was that he drawers seemed flimsy and sagged causing some binding and dragging when opening and closing. I bought a giant Costco tool chest and a 3 drawer box and they are holding up really well.

Hmmm Jake you changed it back to Craftsman instead of crapsman between your two post?? Very snotty post imo!! I have a hi-end Mac box , a Cornwell box and two Craftsman boxes. I dont find that much difference between any of them to justify the $4000 difference in the pricing!! I bought th Mac set up when I was younger & working at a highend shop where it wasn't cool to have craftsman. They all do the same thing as in hold my tools in one area, keep them secure (change the locks on a decent craftsman box and your good to go) so alot of people do not want to pay crazy prices for a tool box when they can buy a brand new bike for the same price!!

To the op's original question about the Champion box. Yes they are really nice tool boxes and they are expensive as well but you'll need to justify to yourself if they are worth the price or not because its your money thats buying it! At $340 on sale, I >personally< would not spend my money on it just because of the big motorcycle badge running across the top cover but thats just me. Im with others that feel a $200 or less top box would do the same job for alot less money. Its all in personal preference!!

I also have a habit of calling SnapOn StrapOn sometimes.