Sign in to follow this  

Short Levers For My Honda XR650R

Well after asking countless people on here and asking in a separate thread i went ahead and bought some Moose Handguards. They arrived and installed fine but my stock levers which everyone said would fit didn't fit.

So now i need short levers which i really didn't want in the first place but i guess thats the price you have to pay.

The problem is all i seem to be able to find is levers which are the exact same size as oem which are stated "shorty" and full perches and levers upwards of $100. Is there not just a brake and clutch lever i can buy that is the shorty type and will bolt on for say $10 or $20?

I dont want to cut the ends off and i cannot move the levers in enough to make them fit, also i should add that my front brake lever has a brake light switch which it will need to incorporate too.

What has everyone else done? And why dont my stock sized levers fit with the moose handguards like everyone elses did?

Thanks

Matt.

Mine fit,when i had stock levers,because you can move the levers INWARD.

+1 ...loosen the perch and move it inward🤣

so wuts the big deal of cut'n ur levers? :cheers:

personally, i prefer my shortened levers. :moon:👍

a hack saw and a file is all that's needed...if u want to get fancy use sum Plasti-Dip. :smirk:

:smirk:

I just aimed the brush guards up an inch or two and angled the levers down a bit also.... fit perfectly.

I can move the clutch lever in a bit but the brake lever and reservoir and everything associated hits the handguard mount before it is in enough to clear.

I just aimed the brush guards up an inch or two and angled the levers down a bit also.... fit perfectly.

Well today i had a fiddle and have pretty much done the same and just left the lever just below the guards so they do not hit, looks fairly good and should protect just as good, as i really didnt want shorty levers as i like the feel of my stock levers.

Thanks for the help guys, maybe one day i may try and buy the shorty type levers but for now ill stick to my setup. Ill try get a pic up soon in the pig gallary.

Well today i had a fiddle and have pretty much done the same and just left the lever just below the guards so they do not hit, looks fairly good and should protect just as good, as i really didnt want shorty levers as i like the feel of my stock levers.

Thanks for the help guys, maybe one day i may try and buy the shorty type levers but for now ill stick to my setup. Ill try get a pic up soon in the pig gallary.

Sounds as if your bars had been cut down...

Careful, I have broken levers doing that. When you crash, the guard rotates and snaps the lever right off. Has happened twice to me.

Careful, I have broken levers doing that. When you crash, the guard rotates and snaps the lever right off. Has happened twice to me.

It will still happen no question, but alot less than if the lever was just smashing into the ground first.:moon: Just make sure there plenty tight and they shouldn't move all that much. Unless you really take a bad spill:worthy:

Edited by XRToecutter

Sounds as if your bars had been cut down...

I dont think so as there are no signs of cut marks on the ends of the bars and as for the handguards braking the levers some how, if that ever happened then i guess i will have to get shorties.