Sign in to follow this  

Seems the market is flooded with Sm's

It just seems like the market is flooded with SM's these days. I cant sell my drz400sm for poop and when looking for a husky 610 all I find are Sm. Seems like all the dual sports are being bought up and SM are being sold:excuseme:

Not sure of what you consider "poop" as far as prices go. I'm up north, (the Sac area) and have been looking for the past three months for a reasonable deal on an SM. There are a few for around $5K for used, many stock w/no upgrades at all. IMO, too much. One prospect for a 2008 @ $3800, but wasn't the color I wanted, otherwise I would have bought it. I have been looking into the Bay Area, and their prices seem to be in the range of $4k and up, mostly up.

What I have found is that some that paid too much from the dealer, are trying to balance that with a high asking price. One seller in Folsom, was asking $6200, since that is what he owed. Said he was into it almost $7500 new, and wouldn't go below $6k.

I don't want to rip anyone off, or benefit from someone else's hard times, but I also know what my $ limits are for a bike that is 3-4 years old. If I can't find my "new to me" bike in the next two months, I'll probably go with a "new from a dealer" one.

Understanding your frustation- I'll add to this by saying- " because there so damn fun!!!" that's the only reasoning believe there's so many out there

rite now every one is selling and no-one is buying

if the guy is not willing to give you a deal that you can't pass up than walk away

I have had so maney offers to buy my bike ( that is not for sell ) all offers ware stupped low-ball offers

I do not understand why kids thing a thumper is 1/4th the price of a 4 cylender ?

I bet if I had cash in hand I could get a new DRZ400sm off the show room floor for under $5,000 ( but it my be a 08 )

what does cash (at a dealer) have anything to do with the price you get?

Most dealers will make exceptions for cash offers. Money on the spot is better then waiting for it(payments, banks)

Most dealers will make exceptions for cash offers. Money on the spot is better then waiting for it(payments, banks)

However, there are actually incentives for dealers to use financing. And it doesnt take very long to get funded, as well as being directly deposited with no cash to handle. I still disagree, UNLESS - a customer comes in with terrible credit...then cash would be an incentive for the dealer to sell the bike.

by the way....i am just posing a different way of looking at it....

on a private sale, cash is king....but to a dealer, i dont think it's really that beneficial. (these days)

30 yrs ago before credit was king....definitely

credit is not king aney more --- not after the banks needed that ungoddly $$$$ bail out

very good point - i bet/hope cash makes a comeback like back in the day.

Doesnt change the fact that dealers get incentives to promote/write finance deals, but dealers are DEFINITELY have much more trouble getting loans approved currently....

so I can definitely see your point...the market may indeed be changing again, and cash might just take the throne again.

Dealers love to finance deals because its easier to hide the true cost of the deal. Ever notice how they always want to talk "payment" and not "price"?

Even with the financial crisis credit is still king and always will be. Just don't expect to walk in with nothing and walk out with a bike like you could 5 yrs ago.

Dealers love to finance deals because its easier to hide the true cost of the deal. Ever notice how they always want to talk "payment" and not "price"?

That's why I always reply "I want my payment to be $0." and ask them "What do you want the price to be?"

very true, but they still have to disclose a total price at some point in time before you sign.....but those low low payments sure do make it soooo much easier to sign!!

and i always remember customers saying..."ahh i am sure i'll pay it off before then"......i always said...."i'm sure you will: :moon:

very true, but they still have to disclose a total price at some point in time before you sign.....but those low low payments sure do make it soooo much easier to sign!!

Yes, they do, and they make sure they do it quickly. :moon:

I have found that with cash in hand they are more willing to work with you on price. It shows that your there to buy and not just waste their time.

I have found that with cash in hand they are more willing to work with you on price. It shows that your there to buy and not just waste their time.

WORD!!!:moon:

i like to walk into a dealership with a $100 bill wrapped around 75 or 80 singles.....wave it around, then ask alot of questions (like an hours worth), then settle on a sweet deal.

then i say, ok, sounds good - let me go home and ask my wife.